need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiepper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and the web site, but I really do need some suggestions. I received my undergraduate degree and now trying to finish pre-req. for med school. I'm interning part-time using the degree that I obtained and working part-time and taking courses. My grade will not be that good for this quarter and I'm getting discouraged by it. Many people think that I should work full time first and go back to school. I tried to take science classes before finish with bachelor but it didn't work out too great. Therefore I decided to concentrate on my major and then eventually will come back to finish pre-req. for medical school. Should I take full-load of science courses while working or should I take it easy with just 1-2 course(s)? If I take it easy with working, and volunteering, what will the admission committees think? Will they see a good side to this non-traditional applicant like me? I made a lot of mistakes in the past in my freshmen and sophomore years, and now I'm trying to correct it. I work close to 40 hours per week as an intern and paid part-time job. I don't want this to be an excuse, but I feel I don't have a lot of time to study. I want to keep up with my knowledge I obtained but I feel that it's preventing me to do well in science. Should I quit? I really want to get accepted into medical school, but I don't have any advisor to discuss with since I'm attending at community college awaiting for being admitting into the University as a post-bacc.

Thanks so much in advance if anyone decide to post to my message.

Jip

"Thailand is the land of smile"

Members don't see this ad.

hey, this has nothing to do with anything but are you thai?

Yes, I'm Thai, are you?

do not take a full load of courses while working full time. it would be very difficult to do, particularly since most of your courses will have a lab component. if i were you i'd stick to 2 at a time. it will still be difficult but will be a little more manageable. 1 at a time might be ok, but it will take you forever to finish & adcoms might prefer to see you taking more than 1 course at a time.