danielallen2008

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2008
Status
After I was accepted to ICO, I decided to defer for a year due to financial reasons. When I attend ICO in august 2010, I will have been out of school for 1.5 years, I am worried about taking on the course load as I will have been out of school for so long. I am thinking of taking some univeristy courses in January to refresh myself, do you guys think this is smart, or will I be okay?

EyEnStein 07

Senior ɸ Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
East Coast
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just a question....why spend money on classes when they can go toward optometry school? Just read up on some textbooks that you already have, or go get something from the library....things will come back to you...1.5 years is not long compared to others who make a comeback.

OP
D

danielallen2008

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2008
Status
Just a question....why spend money on classes when they can go toward optometry school? Just read up on some textbooks that you already have, or go get something from the library....things will come back to you...1.5 years is not long compared to others who make a comeback.
I understand that, Its just the prospect of flunking out, I look at a a couple thousand for university classes + living expenses and its a drop in the bucket compared to the 30 000+ for a year in optometry school, I guess Im just worried that I'm losing my edge, and that I should bone up before going

thanotoriousfob

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Status
Optometrist
I understand that, Its just the prospect of flunking out, I look at a a couple thousand for university classes + living expenses and its a drop in the bucket compared to the 30 000+ for a year in optometry school, I guess Im just worried that I'm losing my edge, and that I should bone up before going
If you are already in a financially tight situation, why would you want to spend your money on something so unnecessary? I've been out of school for three years now and haven't thought twice about taking courses to stay "fresh." Yea you might be a little rusty but you should be able to pick up on all that stuff very quickly if you were a science undergrad. Also, 1.5 years is not that long at all.

But if you really feel you want to brush up just read your textbooks. If you don't have any, go to a library or bookstore.

The key right now is to save money! That's what I've been doing! Good luck.

captainnerd

10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
If you are already in a financially tight situation, why would you want to spend your money on something so unnecessary? I've been out of school for three years now and haven't thought twice about taking courses to stay "fresh." Yea you might be a little rusty but you should be able to pick up on all that stuff very quickly if you were a science undergrad. Also, 1.5 years is not that long at all.

But if you really feel you want to brush up just read your textbooks. If you don't have any, go to a library or bookstore.

The key right now is to save money! That's what I've been doing! Good luck.
I've been away from science classes since 2004 and will be going to opto school fall 2009. Don't worry about classes and being rusty. You'll pick it up.

I actually decided to take philosophy and macroeconomics just for the helluvit. It was the best classes I've taken ever since it wasn't science related and I just wanted to expand my brain beyond science. Also, after the recession, I wanted to change my lifestyle.

I actually don't think it costs a lot to take classes, maybe a few hundred bucks in books. I took my classes at a community college where I think it costs about $35 per class. I spent most of my time chatting with cute girls nearly 10 years younger than me. And I barely studied and still got an A. Whatever, it was worth it.