Need Advise for an International student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

A friend of mine (of german background) who is in USA on F1 visa and working on her undergrad here, wants to go to med school in usa. She has done extremely well so far
GPA of 3.9 finance major (is also now taking the premed core classes), recently took the MCAT ... scored 33. She has asked me to tell her whether her stats as an international student are "good enough to get in".
Now, I know very little about the expectations of ADCOMS for int. students ... to me her stats looks very very good. If she were a usa citizen or resident , she wouldn't have a problem getting in at all .....
I would really appreciate your input on what is realistic for an Int. applicant. Also what would be some useful resources I could point her to for additional information about what schools to apply to etc... Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

someone, anyone please help out :(

or Have I posted in the wrong forum?

sz said:
someone, anyone please help out :(

or Have I posted in the wrong forum?

your friend appears to be very well qualified and stands pretty good chances. It's been said that generally its tougher for international students to get into US med schools, but ofcourse it is possible. If you do a thorough search within this forum you'll realize that this is an issue that has been discussed several times in depth.
check out the link below for example, I was searching on info about wake forest and i got a good lead from this link.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=158825&highlight=wake+forest+scholarships

all the best, .. and by the way, your friend stands very good chances because of their excellent performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
kwame said:
your friend appears to be very well qualified and stands pretty good chances. It's been said that generally its tougher for international students to get into US med schools, but ofcourse it is possible. If you do a thorough search within this forum you'll realize that this is an issue that has been discussed several times in depth.
check out the link below for example, I was searching on info about wake forest and i got a good lead from this link.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=158825&highlight=wake+forest+scholarships

all the best, .. and by the way, your friend stands very good chances because of their excellent performance.

Make sure that you friend keeps up to date on any financial requirements. It is not unheard of for US medical schools to require non-citizens, who are ineligible for US student loans, to prove they can pay tuition and cost of living expenses for all 4 years...up front.

Thank you Kawame and Dr. Cox ... really appreciate your input.