Need Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arsn14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've graduated already but my GPA is about 3.0, I would like help/advice on what I can/could do next. I'm not sure how to go about getting into medical school with such a low GPA.

My main concern is my GPA, I would like to raise it but since I've graduated I'm not sure what is my best bet. Should I go into a post-bacc program? or should I retake my classes I got a C in? Or should I go into a Master's program?

My question with the post-bacc is will it be helpful? will it help my gpa considerably enough to matter? And someone was mentioning that I look into a nursing program. But would that really help my GPA? I don't think it will, but not sure.

Since my GPA is low, I didn't know if my only option was a Caribbean school. I'm trying to find all the options available so I can start taking the right steps to get me into a good spot to apply to schools.

I really want to know what are my options for my GPA, should i do a post bacc? masters program? what other options do I have?

ALSO, if I get at mid 30 on my MCAT, say around 34-35, with a GPA of 3.0 do I stand a chance of making it into a medical school in the states?

I'm located in Kansas but if you have any out of state options please let me know.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've graduated already but my GPA is about 3.0, I would like help/advise on what I can/could do next. I'm not sure how to go about getting into medical school with such a low GPA.

My main concern is my GPA, I would like to raise it but since I've graduated I'm not sure what is my best bet. Should I go into a post-bacc program? or should I retake my classes I got a C in? Or should I go into a Master's program?

My question with the post-bacc is will it be helpful? will it help my gpa considerably enough to matter? And someone was mentioning that I look into a nursing program. But would that really help my GPA? I don't think it will, but not sure.

Since my GPA is low, I didn't know if my only option was a Caribbean school. I'm trying to find all the options available so I can start taking the right steps to get me into a good spot to apply to schools.

I really want to know what are my options for my GPA, should i do a post bacc? masters program? what other options do I have?

ALSO, if I get at mid 30 on my MCAT, say around 34-35, with a GPA of 3.0 do I stand a chance of making it into a medical school in the states?

I'm located in Kansas but if you have any out of state options please let me know.

Thanks in advance for you help.

1. AACOMAS (the DO application service) has a grade replacement policy, but you have to retake the same class with the same credit hours (or more). AMCAS does not utilize grade replacement.

2. There are MANY ways to calculate GPA and you'll need to know the break-down of your cumulative, science and non-science GPAs. This will help you get better advice (why does everyone keep misspelling this word?).

3. How are you predicting your MCAT scores? Have you taken practice exams? What have you done to prepare for this beast?

4. I would suggest a Post-Bac over Caribbean any day. This is my biased, personal opinion.

5. Have you completed your pre-reqs yet? This will almost guarantee the need for a post-bac (informal or formal).

1. AACOMAS (the DO application service) has a grade replacement policy, but you have to retake the same class with the same credit hours (or more). AMCAS does not utilize grade replacement.

2. There are MANY ways to calculate GPA and you'll need to know the break-down of your cumulative, science and non-science GPAs. This will help you get better advice (why does everyone keep misspelling this word?).

3. How are you predicting your MCAT scores? Have you taken practice exams? What have you done to prepare for this beast?

4. I would suggest a Post-Bac over Caribbean any day. This is my biased, personal opinion.

5. Have you completed your pre-reqs yet? This will almost guarantee the need for a post-bac (informal or formal).

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the misspelling ha, on the grade replacement, can i retake the class anywhere? or does it have to be at the same university?

And how beneficial would the post-bac be over applying to the Caribbean with a low GPA? I mean would it, say if I do well in the program, allow me to apply to med school with the post-bac gpa, thus increasing my chances?

And yes I've done all my pre-reqs, so I think I either go the DO route and retake my classes, or go into a post-bacc program.

I appreciate your advice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would most definitely try doing some sort of post bac progam or even a master's program that involves all your first year medical school classes. Your main objective is to prove you can perform well in these classes and also achieve high on your MCAT.

Don't stress, the year goes by fast. Also try to get a medically related job or perform research, this helps tremendously.

Master's graduate (Spring 2011)
Research assistant
3 interviews and counting

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the misspelling ha, on the grade replacement, can i retake the class anywhere? or does it have to be at the same university?

And how beneficial would the post-bac be over applying to the Caribbean with a low GPA? I mean would it, say if I do well in the program, allow me to apply to med school with the post-bac gpa, thus increasing my chances?

And yes I've done all my pre-reqs, so I think I either go the DO route and retake my classes, or go into a post-bacc program.

I appreciate your advice :)

Doesn't have to be the same university, but the course must be substantially the same (cover the same material) and be at least for the same credit hours.

Caribbean should be your last resort. There are a ton of reasons why - use the search function and you'll find hundreds of threads discussing. Bottom line: DO beats Caribbean 250% of the time.

Post bacs are expensive. And they don't change your undergraduate GPA; they just evidence your ability to successfully handle med school level material (assuming you do well). Again, a ton of threads on SDN discussing post-bac programs.

Doesn't have to be the same university, but the course must be substantially the same (cover the same material) and be at least for the same credit hours.

Caribbean should be your last resort. There are a ton of reasons why - use the search function and you'll find hundreds of threads discussing. Bottom line: DO beats Caribbean 250% of the time.

Post bacs are expensive. And they don't change your undergraduate GPA; they just evidence your ability to successfully handle med school level material (assuming you do well). Again, a ton of threads on SDN discussing post-bac programs.

Take it from someone who was obsessed with idea of Caribeean, the above poster is right. Once i found out about DO schools and their philosophies, I became super confident in getting a medical education from a DO school where as I was like "im throwing a hail mary in the Caribbean"

FOR SURE, got SMP. Thats my back up for a number of reasons. They do cost a lot so they arent for everyone. But then again, the Caribbean costs even more + you need to account the fact that you actually might not match (but thats a whole diff story)

Good Luck OP