Need Anki Advice. using zanki for step prep.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Forssmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just started using the zanki deck. I was wondering if anyone had any input on how to start reviewing old blocks(currently M2). I've been doing 25 new cards and 25 review cards everyday for past blocks to review those before step.(on top of studying for coursework) I was just wondering what people thought about these settings. I feel they are manageable. but i'm not sure what the best settings are to cover past blocks and to make sure I master them. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I just started using the zanki deck. I was wondering if anyone had any input on how to start reviewing old blocks(currently M2). I've been doing 25 new cards and 25 review cards everyday for past blocks to review those before step.(on top of studying for coursework) I was just wondering what people thought about these settings. I feel they are manageable. but i'm not sure what the best settings are to cover past blocks and to make sure I master them. Thank you in advance!
I mean, it depends on how quickly you want to cover them. 25/25 is manageable, but it may take you a few years to cover all of Zanki that way.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, it depends on how quickly you want to cover them. 25/25 is manageable, but it may take you a few years to cover all of Zanki that way.

Lol. this is true. My plan was to get through like 5k just doing cards everyday and the other 5k hopefully during the breaks? not sure if this is realistic. what would you recommend? I would do more i'm just a little worried about burn out. are there settings or strategies you would recommend to make it more manageable?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol. i mean i also do a 100 a day for the organ block i'm in so those are taken care of. i'm just having trouble figuring out a plan for catching up. I'm just curious how to start reviewing old blocks in addition to what i'm already doing.

lol. i mean i also do a 100 a day for the organ block i'm in so those are taken care of. i'm just having trouble figuring out a plan for catching up. I'm just curious how to start reviewing old blocks in addition to what i'm already doing.
I guess I don't understand the question? You review old blocks by...reviewing cards from prior subjects. However many you have the time and stamina to fit in.

It's doable to go through about 1,000 new cards per week especially those Zanki cards which are straight up first-order quests that can be deleted or suspended after a few tries.

It's doable to go through about 1,000 new cards per week especially those Zanki cards which are straight up first-order quests that can be deleted or suspended after a few tries.
Just mark them 'easy' and set your intervals up right and you shouldn't have to do that.

What are your interval steps?
I don't like premade decks, so my intervals are set up assuming that my learning will be accomplished in making the card, not reviewing it multiple times to start.

Reactions: 1 users
After taking Step 1, I genuinely don’t feel like doing 25,000 cards is a good use of time. Yes there’s a certain amount of unavoidable memorization, but the latest iterations of the exam seem to be much more interested in critical thinking than vomiting facts. I would, however, recommend Zanki for things like Pharm and possibly Neuro. I also hear great things about BrosWorld for nailing UWorld concepts.

What would I have done differently? Spent at least 5x as much time on basic sciences. I felt like every other question took me back to biochem, genetics, cell bio, etc. in some way.

Reactions: 1 user