Need asap nursing advice, thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

persianbbq4u

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The intro is my cousin is in a tuff bind and I wanted to post this thread for her to try to help her make an informed and wise decision with her future career plans. It is probably easier to present this systemically…so she has two options on the table. Option A is that she got accepted into a RN degree at a prestigious nursing school but will incur about 100K of debt, live far from home, and this type of program is for two years to obtain a Bachlors/RN (she already has a bachlor's degree in Microbio from a Ivy league college). Option B is to live at home for a year, work as an ER Tech or NA and reapply the subsequent year to local RN programs which are much cheaper, are one year in length, and are closer to home. I am advising her to strongly consider option B since it will take her to the same place in two years, she will have little debt in the end if she saves her money during the year off, but Option B does not have the prestigious name of where she went for her RN on her resume. Her ultimate career goals are to become a nurse practitioner or to obtain a PhD in nursing. Another question I had is how much weight is given in the nursing profession to 'where' you went to school? Thank you advice for your help. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

In the seven years I have spent working in 3 different ERs in 3 different states, I have never once seen or heard of anyone caring what RN school a nurse went to.

Also, 100k for nursing school is utterly ridiculous. No offense to your friend or anything, but good God.

I would say that despite your prestigious school I would judge you if you intentionally incurred 100k debt to be an RN and didn't have some sort of fantastic plan to offset this crazy high loan..... for the known beginning salary of an RN.... when there are plenty of other less expensive options out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Option B by far. 100K for a BSN is insane.

no man, nursing isnt the type of profession where many people care where you went to school. understand that a lot of nurses went to community colleges and vocational schools, and the majority of nurses only have an associate degree in nursing; even they get to go on to MSN programs if they choose.

this is a no brainer: w/ option b, she saves money, stays close to home, gets to earn money and gain health care experience, and possibly have her network in line when she is ready to look for her first RN job - all in the same time frame as the other option. however, i do understand wanting to go to a school you can feel proud of. but at 100k, i also think that is insane.

she should also consider an masters entry program if she is sure this is what she wants to do.

I would call for a psych eval. for anyone who seriously considered paying $100K for a basic nursing education.

I bet those ivory towers are a magnificent sight at that rate...