bullpup777

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, I am finally going to get to go back and complete a residency after ten years. I am very excited and deeply grateful to the program willing to take a risk on me. For the last five years I have been working at Starbucks and intermittently writing short athlete biographies for an academic website.

So, no surprise here, I do not feel well prepared to start in Psych, let alone do six months of inpatient medicine. I did do a rigorous full year medicine prelim ten years ago and have kept up with online family medicine CMEs, but that isn't terribly reassuring right now.

I need two sets of books, I think, one to read between now and July, and one to have on my person in July. In the past I relied on Cecils Essentials of Medicine and Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry for reading, and carried a Scut Monkey Handbook and Pocket Pharmacopeia. My editions are, of course, Hopelessly outdated (Cecil's was copyright 1993!), and I need advice on what to replace them with.

I was just laid off from Starbucks, so I plan to spend a considerable time trying to prepare. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

peppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Lange Internal Medicine On Call is my favorite pocketbook to have for IM call nights. It is organized in such a way that you can look up various problems you might get called about and it gives you practical tips about what to think about or order that you can quickly read on your way to see the patient. Best of luck. :)

bullpup777

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the advice. How about the regular textbooks, sound ok?