Need clarification. Do peroxides do Anti-Markovnikov only with bromine?

Started by Neil45
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Neil45

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A reaction is shown below:

x3age0.png



Addition of a peroxide compound to this reaction will give the following product:
5as769.png



The answer key says addition of peroxide will result in anti-Markovnikov addition. However, from what I learned from Chad's videos, I thought peroxides do anti-Markovnikov ONLY with Bromine. Here in the problem, since we are dealing with chlorine with peroxides, shouldn't the addition to the alkene be Markovnikov? So, the result will be the chlorine being attached to the tertiary carbon (with the methyl group). Is the answer key wrong?
 
Last edited:
I believe the answer key to be wrong, and you to be right. As far as I can remember, ROOR only works to go anti-markovnikov w/ bromine.
 
only works with HBr.

HCl with ROOR gives the same product as using just HCl.

Note that the DAT might ask you a question with HCl/Roor just as a trick question. The answer would be Markovnikov.
 
Only HBr will go antimarkovnikov with peroxide. Any other Hydrogen Halide with peroxide will go markovnikov.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk