Need early advice

sarim tanveer

Reaction score
right now im a high school student that has been accepted into the York Kinsiology program. i wanna know whether i can still go to med school if i get a high gpa and mcat. i also want to get an idea of how hard it is to get a high gpa in kinsiology and how much clinical research and volunteer hours i need or not need at all.

Members don't see this ad.

right now im a high school student that has been accepted into the York Kinsiology program. i wanna know whether i can still go to med school if i get a high gpa and mcat. i also want to get an idea of how hard it is to get a high gpa in kinsiology and how much clinical research and volunteer hours i need or not need at all.
Answer to first question is yes.

Answer to second Q...only you can answer this.

You can go to med school with a major in hospitality if you want. In general, schools just require you to have completed some variation of the following: a couple math classes (stats and calc), gen chem I and II, orgo with lab, biochem, a couple bio classes, two semester of physics with lab. Those are all classes (plus sociology and psychology) that will help with the mcat. A decent gpa and and mcat are needed regardless. You don't need any clinical research, research in some field is good though and if it turns out to be clinical then good for you. Shoot for 200 hours of clinical volunteering and 200 hours of nonclinical with the needy, go shadow for 50 hours at least. This is all a general guide of what you need to do. There are lots of guides on sdn for what to do to check the boxes for med school.

At least at my college, kinesiology was a very easy major.

Go at it slow and steady. Don't figure on needing to get all the hours in the first 2 years. Start with spending 3 hrs/wk, every week during freshman year doing some kind of service activity in a soup kitchen, homeless shelter, friendly visitor program for the elderly,, tutoring kids whose parents are poor, big sib program/ coaching/ mentoring for kids in need of role models. You'll find something that suits you. Do it diligenly every week and before you know it you'll have 90 hours your first year. Shadowing and clnical volunteering can wait until late in freshman year or later. Or you can get a job in a clinical setting and have that count... you could easily hit the minimum number of hours with a full-time job over 1 summer as a patient care technician in a nursing home (It is patient care so it counts even in a nursing home).

Number one priority is good grades so make sure you have good study habits and other good habits (re: sleep, nutrition, stress) and don't put extracurriculars ahead of GPA. Also, stay out of trouble on and off campus and don't get caught up in misconduct of any kind. Don't be helpful in sharing your materials unless you've cleared it first with the instructor ("Can I give my lab report to my friend so he can see what the format should be?").