In need of an advice...

teenwdreams

Reaction score
hey there, I am 15 years old and I've always wanted to become a doctor and recently the urge to find out more and get more information on a doctor's life or perspective has been growing
but the problem is that I also just found out that they're different types of doctors... so I wanted to ask what would be the best for someone like me.
and yes I know it's kinda too early for me to be asking about stuff like this because I haven't even got out of high school, but I am just genuinely concerned that if the time may arrive to pick I won't know what to pick since I'm such an indecisive person.

regardless I want to be the type of doctor that checks up and cures but I don't want the complicated type of things...
I want to be able to help people while also keeping a healthy schedule but I don't know what could offer me that type of work environment...

what would you guys recommend?
what steps should I take as of right now and in the future to come?
and thank you for reading
have a great day

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you get through high school first with decent grades to get into a decent enough University/College to earn a Bachelor degree in something you like and enjoy learning about all while also keeping your GPA up for medical school admissions. Once you graduate from College, then take the MCAT get a good score and apply to medical schools. Everything else will fall into place once you are in medical school. There is no point in worrying about them now. Even if we would explain everything in detail to you now, it is unlucky to change anything for your future, and you would probably still have more questions. Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Any specific advice we can give may or may not be applicable by the time you are in a place to make a final decision. Many people who start med school with one specialty in mind frequently change their minds.

Just based on the things you mentioned are your priorities, here are some of the fields you should learn more about over the next few years.
Family Medicine, Internal Medicine (general hospitalist or adult outpatient based), PM&R.

Steps you can do right now is starting touching base with some doctors. Ask for their opinions on their experiences, training, day to day and out of work lifestyle. Its not too early to explore and get to know what the field is like, just don't worry about trying to pick up doctoring skills or anything.

Other than that, just put your nose to the grindstone, get into a good college, then med school. Even the doctors with a laid back lifestyle still put in effort up front to achieve that lifestyle.

Reactions: 2 users