Need feedback please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seedlessmelon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I opened my score report on Wednesday to see that I had failed by 2 points. I guess I'll be preparing to take this monster of an exam again and I'm desperate for some advice because I am clueless as to where to start and scared to mess it up again!

I've read some great advice on this forum about the different ways to prepare initially for the exam, and advice for a few posters who have found themselves in my same situation recently...anyway, if anyone has some advice for my individual situation I'd greatly appreciate it.

I studied on my own (I used most of Kaplan online, FA, Goljan, UWorld qbank). I felt "prepared" going into the exam, almost too relaxed and confident even? I had taken a practice UWorld assessment my last week, I usually do better on real exams so with a 208 was sure that on the real thing I'd score nothing less and praying for 20+ points.

My actual exam score report pretty much shows everything is borderline, so I don't even know how I'd go about studying everything again. I'm scared to death of studying the "wrong way" again. I have no idea how to begin assessing what to change because I felt "fine" the whole time.

My school will give me about 2 months to prep: please advise me!! Do I do questions, questions, questions?? A live course?? Back to my old notes and books??

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

The best possible tactic is to do as many practice questions as possible on UW and USMLErx and use your progress to guide your strengths/weaknesses.

If you have already used FA and Goljan then you just need to apply your knowledge until you see a pattern in ever question (due to the limited ways they can ask high yield topics).

Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. I misssed a score I hoped for by 2 points also.

Good Luck!:luck:

-FF

Members don't see this ad :)
The best possible tactic is to do as many practice questions as possible on UW and USMLErx and use your progress to guide your strengths/weaknesses.

If you have already used FA and Goljan then you just need to apply your knowledge until you see a pattern in ever question (due to the limited ways they can ask high yield topics).
McGillGrad - Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your advice on how to measure progress and to look for patterns, I've heard to "do questions" so many times but I'd feel more sure of my progress with your advice. Thanks!!

Dude, I've read your thread, you were disappointed in a 228. No offense but you passed - I don't think that's anything close to how I feel.
HAHAHAHA that's awesome. yea fxfixer you really can't say you feel the same way as seedless

@ seedless, i think if you've been borderline, i would go over UW again and maybe buy the other SA. i think you just need repetition to get used to thinking and reasoning your way through USMLE questions. yes, the test is a test of your knowledge but isn't a pure memorization test as most questions are 3rd or 4th order. you just need to get used to thinking that way. and i dunno if it'll help you but towards the end, i used UW half the time random, timed (to get used to the pace and simulate testing conditions) and the other half random, tutor (to learn).