Need GRE to Apply MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to take the GRE exam for the PhD and the MCAT for MD, if you are applying to a combined MD/PhD program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe all MSTP funded schools are fine with accepting just the MCAT. However, there are some schools that require both, Ohio State MSP (BME) for example. But it doesn't hurt to take them both, besides the general GRE is a piece of cake compared to the MCAT.

I believe all MSTP funded schools are fine with accepting just the MCAT. However, there are some schools that require both, Ohio State MSP (BME) for example. But it doesn't hurt to take them both, besides the general GRE is a piece of cake compared to the MCAT.

lol. so i guess you shouldn't take gre, unless you really want to go to ohio state mstp. so not worth taking it.

Is the GRE necessary to apply for fellowships in grad school? Or are MD/PhD students already disqualified due to the MD?

Is the GRE necessary to apply for fellowships in grad school? Or are MD/PhD students already disqualified due to the MD?

I really doubt you have to take the GRE to apply for fellowships. They generally care more about LORs and your research proposal. And no, you aren't disqualified, in fact I think you're encouraged to apply for fellowships.

Do you have to take the GRE exam for the PhD and the MCAT for MD, if you are applying to a combined MD/PhD program?

This depends on which programs you apply to and what your area of interest is for the PhD. If you are interested in an area outside of lab science, then yes you do have to take the GRE. Also, some of the non-MSTP MD/PhD programs require it. It's best to start making a list of the programs you are interested in and then look on their website or call the office and ask about the GRE.

For NRSA F30 fellowships (most common, see the two recent threads about them), MCAT is accepted in lieu of GRE. In fact, they never do ask flat out for them but on my first grant review they wondered why mine wasn't on my CV :laugh:

Don't take GRE. It's very rare that you would need it. In the rare cases that you might need it you could be accepted without it and take it later.

Edit: This is less true for non-biological science/non-engineering PhD programs. If you are interested in these programs (like OncDoc) you may need the GRE.

Edit: This is less true for non-biological science/non-engineering PhD programs. If you are interested in these programs (like OncDoc) you may need the GRE.

QFT. You'll need it for the social science track at Harvard, for instance.

Ari

The replies in this thread suggest that GREs are not really needed, but Im finding the opposite.....

(BTW I'm from Canada, so that makes me ineligable for MTSP)

I am interested in doing a Bioengineering MD/PHD. So I went to the websites for a few schools that offer this (Stanford, UW, Penn). They all seem to say that you must apply to the PHD (bioengineering) and MD departments separately, which would mean you need the GRE and MCAT.

I think some US students arn't applying through the MSTP too right? In this case, from what I see you need the GRE.

Can anyone comment on this?......

yes I will do this next.....but like I said, judging from what is said on the website (ie. must apply to both programs separately) I think GRE is needed.

How about yourself, i see you are already in a MD/PHD program.....you must have applied through the MSTP?

MSTP schools set up the same policies for their MD/PhD and MSTP funded students as far as admissions and other requirements. Students don't know or care how they're funded. The only time this matters is for internationals at admissions time, but the reason is just that some schools take internationals and some don't due to funding reasons. Sometimes the bar for GPA, MCAT, and research experience might be a little higher simply due to the competition involved for limited non-government funding. But, there's not additional requirements such as the GRE being only required for international students as far as I'm aware.

I'm at one of the schools you listed in your earlier post and I'm pretty sure the Bioengineering department does NOT require GRE from their MD/PhD students. I've been hoping my classmate in the Bioengineering department would pop on AIM so I could ask her, but I haven't seen her. Regardless, I don't want to give you false info even though I'm pretty sure, which is why I hope you will e-mail. Please let tge other interested applicants know.

I emailed a few schools, and It looks like in most cases: bioengineering PhD departments will take the MCAT in lieu of the GRE.

One note, STANFORD asks for both mcat and gre if you are not going through the MTSP.

I will update if I find other schools that require mcat and gre....hopefully some other people could do the same....

Stanford....mcat and gre
UPenn....only mcat
UWash....only mcat

lol. so i guess you shouldn't take gre, unless you really want to go to ohio state mstp. so not worth taking it.
This is not true. They waive the GRE for engineering undergrads. Replying here in case any other MSTP applicants come here looking for answers.
(link to website of Ohio State's requirements)
Quote: "The Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program and Neuroscience Graduate Studies Program will accept results of MCATs in lieu of the GRE for admission to the MSTP, but the Biomedical Engineering (BME) Graduate Program requires the GRE. However, this GRE requirement is waived for applicants who majored in an engineering field during their undergraduate or graduate education."