Need Gyn input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of something profound today while sipping my coffee in my pathology office today, what percentage of the time do you folks prescribe birth control for actual medical reasons like a known ICD10? Im thinking 99.9% of the time there is literally zero coded indication for this med class as Im fairly certain "not wanting to get pregnant" isnt a ICD10 or is it?

How this is coded? Im very curious.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t do General gyn but there is a group of codes called “encounter for contraceptive management” that’s utilized. I’d wager that at least 1/3 are for things like aub, endometriosis, pcos, hyperplasia and probably goes up depending on the age of population you’re taking care of. In the rare instances I encounter someone who needs a hormonal tx it is usually for AUB and I will bill as such.

oh wow 33% of the time its for an actual diagnosis, that is interesting...abnormal uterine bleeding 1st line is just to give oral bc? That seems crazy from a pathology perspective. I assume there is alot more to it, I will venture to my hospital cafeteria now and find one of my gyn ladies.

I agree with the other comment. I usually use "family planning advice" as my ICD 10 code for birth control. I think 30-40 percent is about right. One of the contraindications to birth control pills is undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. So there does need to be some sort of evaluation before starting pills for that indication but it is a good first line treatment. But in addition to AUB (which has many different potential causes), PCOS, there is endometriosis, primary dysmenorrhea, PMDD, menstrual migraine, premature ovarian failure, acne plus others not coming immediately to me. These all have ICD-10 codes.