Need help and advice!! Where should I apply? Alright GPA bad MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnScars

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools should I apply to? I have a 3.5 GPA 3.45 Science GPA. I was scoring between 28-35 on my practice AAMC exams and then I panicked on the test date and got 20 MCAT (6/6/8). I have a High recommendation from the Pre-Med advisory committee at my school, was the President of two large campus organizations, shadowed a DO for 50 hrs, volunteered in a clinic/hospital for 150hrs, undergrad chem TA for 2 years, awarded a prestigious research scholarship (Biomedical research for 2 years), Presented my research at different symposiums, club soccer.

My Sister goes to VCOM so I guess I have "legacy" status there....I am DEFINITELY retaking the mcat in January.

What schools should I submit my primary to? Other than noting on the ACCOMAS app that I am in fact retaking the MCAT in Jan, is there anything else I need to do to let them know that I'm retaking the MCAT?

I am so depressed right now! AHHhHHHH

Members don't see this ad.

What schools should I apply to? I have a 3.5 GPA 3.45 Science GPA. I was scoring between 28-35 on my practice AAMC exams and then I panicked on the test date and got 20 MCAT (6/6/8). I have a High recommendation from the Pre-Med advisory committee at my school, was the President of two large campus organizations, shadowed a DO for 50 hrs, volunteered in a clinic/hospital for 150hrs, undergrad chem TA for 2 years, awarded a prestigious research scholarship (Biomedical research for 2 years), Presented my research at different symposiums, club soccer.

My Sister goes to VCOM so I guess I have "legacy" status there....I am DEFINITELY retaking the mcat in January.

What schools should I submit my primary to? Other than noting on the ACCOMAS app that I am in fact retaking the MCAT in Jan, is there anything else I need to do to let them know that I'm retaking the MCAT?

To be completely honest, I would ONLY apply at the schools that will accept a January 2012 MCAT. Your current MCAT score will likely get you auto-screened out of everywhere, and you would likely just be wasting your money. Your applications will look much better once you retake the MCAT. If there is a school that you really want to get into that does NOT take January MCAT scores, I would just be patient and wait until next cycle.

Sorry about the bad luck on the exam, I'm sure you'll kill it next time!

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe you just have to face the reality that you are one of those who will be weeded out admission to med school secondary to a poor MCAT.

If I tell the schools to wait on my January test scores, wont that be too late? Do people seriously get in with January Test scores??

If I tell the schools to wait on my January test scores, wont that be too late? Do people seriously get in with January Test scores??

Did you read the thread above? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=853330&highlight=January Sounds like chances are all but nill that late in the game. Think about it: you take the January 28th MCAT. You don't get your results until March 1st or so. It'll be mid-March by the time schools look at your file, and they've already filled the entire class up after hundreds of interviews starting in September (6 months earlier!) and are already deep into their waitlist. You've got to look at this from a cost/benefit perspective way far back on the big picture scale. You're fighting for spots that may or may not even exist at that point, which makes the effort-to-gain ratio moot. I'm in the same boat as you, but with a 25 MCAT (practice ranging 29-30). I know I can do better, and I've got the practice exams to prove it, but January MCAT seems like a lost cause at this point.

Last edited:
What are the easiest D.O. Schools to get into. I know that usually the newer schools are easier to get into..

20 MCAT is game over this late. Wait until next cycle with the retake. Rushing applications also gives you poor quality essays. That combined with your MCAT is not recommended.