Need help applying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theokoles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA - 3.792
sGPA - 3.74
MCAT - 508 - 128/126/127/127

Asian American - Pakistani

Texas Resident.
West Texas A&M University Undergraduate
Biology/Biochemistry Double Major - Math Minor

Clinical Experience -
Volunteer/observer at rural clinic in Pakistan. ~ 150hrs spread through summer of 2012
hospital mainly catered to low socieoeconomic status. saw a lot of kids have problems due to malnourishment.

Research Experience -
Over 100 hrs of Research in chemistry - specifically laser optics
One published article is Optical Society of America - "Exciting fluorescence on an optical fiber's side surface with a liquid core waveguide

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Pediatrician - 30 hrs
Trauma Surgeon - 30hrs

Non-clinical volunteering
Part of Circle K International for about 2 years in college. Did various community service projects ~ 150hrs

Other Extracurricular activities
Intramural Soccer
Pickup soccer games all throughout college
Fully employed throughout college
Chemistry T.A
Organic Chemistry Tutor
Really into Fitness - workout 3-4 times a week

The following are schools I'm thinking about applying to. I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me what you think, and if there are any I need to take off my list or any schools I need to look into to..

All TMDSAS schools

Georgetown

University of Arizona

Brown University RI

Howard University

University of Washington

University of Colorado Denver

University of Florida at Gainsville

University of Utah Med School

Tufts University School of Medicine

Loma Linda School of Medicine

Stanford - Dream School

University of California San Diego

Members don't see this ad.

None of those OOS schools are worth an app unless you strongly fit LLs mission

Members don't see this ad :)
Give your stats and the fact that you are a Texas resident, I don't see your application having much success at OOS public schools.

I would remove all public OOS programs. Why Georgetown and not George Washington? Howard is an HBCU ...

@GrapesofRath What OOS Schools would you recommend?

Hard to recommend any MD OOS with a 508
You'll find anecdotes of people getting IIs from OOS lower tiers from Tx but those are just that, anecdotes. Hardly reliable and very variable
If you really want OOS lower tiers perhaps talk to an advisor from your school to see if grads from your school have had luck with a particular OOS lower tier in the past

Your best chances are with the TX MD schools and TX is a great state to be a resident from as far as med school admissions go, so consider yourself fortunate. Save yourself some money and eliminate majority of the non-TMDSAS schools in your list except for georgetown b/c your stats are not competitive enough for them. Howard wouldn't be a good add unless you've shown continuous commitment to helping the undeserved (especially the black population). Besides being from TX wouldn't bode well for your chances at Howard anyway as the ORM they tend to accept are mostly from the mid-Atlantic region. Schools you could consider are GWU, NYMC, drexel, rosy frank, etc. You'd be competitive for any DO school if that is an option you are considering as well