WAMC 3.4/507 -> 507 - Should I delay applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm1991

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

cGPA: 3.435

First attempt 4/28/23: 507 (127/126/127/127)
Retake 3/9/24: 507 (127/128/126/126)

Currently in a dilemma about retaking for a third time, was expecting 510+ and worried about potentially doing worse and having to enter a third gap year or ruin my chances at MD completely.

FL resident, Black female

Undergraduate:
State school, double major so received two degrees
  • Biomedical Sciences
  • Chemistry, Biochemistry track / minor in Linguistics
  • Received University Honors and Honors in Chemistry
Clinical Experience
Volunteering: Children’s hospital (direct contact with patients) - 80+ hours
Paid: Dermatology Medical Assistant - full time for about 2 years now (about 4000 hours)

Research Experience:
One publication, listed as first name
(Currently in talks with the doctor I assist about getting another paper published before this cycle begins)
Defended undergraduate thesis on my research project
Worked in two labs on two different projects - about 1000 hours in total
Four poster presentations
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow (received grant)

Shadowing Experience:
About 10 hours in two specialities, currently reaching out to shadow more

Nonclinical Volunteering:
About 100 hours (most from working at my university’s food pantry)

Extracurricular Activities:
Teaching Assistant for various chemistry courses for 3 semesters
Mentored female STEM students at my university for 2 years
Peer coach for 1 year
Participated in a research mentoring program for underrepresented groups as a mentee
In a service-based D9 sorority

Current school list (need assistance narrowing it down to be realistic)
UCF
UF
FSU
UM
Howard
Morehouse
Albany Medical College
Rush
UIC
SUNY Downstate
Riverside
Davis
SIU
Wake Forest

This will be my first cycle applying and my goal is to apply as early as possible. I did not apply last year because my goal was MD/PhD so I wanted to retake and unfortunately my worst case scenario came true and I worsened my chances. Is it even worth applying MD/PhD to any of these schools with my current stats? I’m not interested in DO so I will delay applying if I need to improve my chances for MD. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.

I think it would be difficult to apply MD/PhD with the metrics. You can reach out to the Research Scientists forum to confirm. That's where the MD/PhD folks hang out more. I'm presuming there is a reason you aren't going with a traditional research degree route of MS or Ph.D. first.

On that front, you need more clinical hours in both shadowing. Maybe 50 from your dermatology work could go towards shadowing, but getting primary care representation is important.

Have you done nonclinical volunteering since you graduated? What you have is low for Rush. Riverside prefers those from their region (Inland Empire of California) and Southern Illinois from their region. I presume your UM means Miami not Michigan.

You should accumulate another 40 hours of physician shadowing and 50+ hours of non clinical volunteering before you submit your application. You do not need to retake the MCAT. SIU and Riverside do not admit non residents and UC Davis only ~3 per year.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Miami
USF Morsani
Emory
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Wake Forest
Tulane
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
TCU
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Belmont

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums.

I think it would be difficult to apply MD/PhD with the metrics. You can reach out to the Research Scientists forum to confirm. That's where the MD/PhD folks hang out more. I'm presuming there is a reason you aren't going with a traditional research degree route of MS or Ph.D. first.

On that front, you need more clinical hours in both shadowing. Maybe 50 from your dermatology work could go towards shadowing, but getting primary care representation is important.

Have you done nonclinical volunteering since you graduated? What you have is low for Rush. Riverside prefers those from their region (Inland Empire of California) and Southern Illinois from their region. I presume your UM means Miami not Michigan.
Thank you so much for the advice! I have not done any nonclinical volunteering but I will definitely start looking for opportunities to get more hours.

And yes I meant University of Miami. :)

You should accumulate another 40 hours of physician shadowing and 50+ hours of non clinical volunteering before you submit your application. You do not need to retake the MCAT. SIU and Riverside do not admit non residents and UC Davis only ~3 per year.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Miami
USF Morsani
Emory
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Wake Forest
Tulane
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
TCU
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Belmont
Thank you so much for the advice and the comprehensive list!! This is very helpful.

Are you from Illinois? If not consider removing UofI. They have the highest out of state tuition around. And unless you live in the specific geographic area that SIU draws from you might as well remove that school too. And remove Rush.. You have nowhere near the hours Rush expects and gets from applicants (they expect hundreds and get that and more).

Reactions: 1 user