Need help calculating gpa for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resistance135

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

I am starting my 4th year of community college and I will be transferring this January as a Physiology major.

I am currently retaking my Organic Chemistry 2 class and my final lower division Biology course.
I will retake the failed physics class once I transfer.

I have retaken the failed history, calc 1, and calc 2 at another institution. I have also taken a few courses to help my GPA that I will post as well.
What I need help with is understanding how med schools calculate GPA's with multiple F's in the same course.
For example, I took calc 1 four times and Calc 2 three times.

I also took a history class three times and failed it, took it a fourth time at another school and failed it. Then I took it at another school and I earned an A.
I am confused with how med schools would calculate everything.

Here is my transcript:

BIOT 160 UG Concepts/Met Biotch
Credit by Exam A

CINA 011 UG Amer Cultures Film A

COUN 101 UG Orient/Coll Success P

MATH 051 UG Trigonometry C

CHEM 001 UG Gen Chem, Lec/Lab C

KINE 005J UG Begin Body Cond A

MATH 002 UG Algebra For Calc C

CHEM 002 UG Gen Chem, Lec/Lab F

ENGL 001 UG College Composition C

LR 010 UG Intro Lbry Resrch/Info Comptnc F

MATH 020 UG Analyt Geo/Calc I W

PHYS 002 UG Physics (N-Calc) C

ART 010 UG Art Appreciation B

CHEM 002 UG Gen Chem, Lec/Lab C

LR 010 UG Intro Lbry Resrch/Info Comptnc A

MATH 020 UG Analyt Geo/Calc I F

SOC 001 UG Introduction to Sociology B

ENGL 002 UG Crit Thk/Writ Lit F

MATH 020 UG Analyt Geo/Calc I F

BIO 002 UG Prin of Cell & Mol Biology C

CHEM 003 UG Org Chem I Lec/Lab F

PSYC 001 UG Introduction to Psychology C

CHEM 003 UG Org Chem I Lec/Lab C

CIS 001 UG Intro Computer Sci A

ENGL 002 UG Crit Thk/Writ Lit C

HIST 002 UG World Hist to 1500 F

KINE 005D UG Circuit Training A

PLSC 001 UG Int Amer/Govt & Pol B

COMM 001 UG Intro/Publ Speaking B

MATH 021 UG Analyt Geo/Calc II D

CHEM 004 UG Org Chem II,Lec/Lab W

GEOG 001 UG Physical Geography C

MATH 021 UG Analyt Geo/Calc II F

BIO 003 UG Evolution, Ecology& Biodivers D

BUS 005 UG Intro To Business W

CHEM 004 UG Org Chem II,Lec/Lab F

PHYS 004 UG Physics (N-Calc) F

BIO 012 UG Environmental Science A

And from other schools I took Calc 2 (5 units and got an A), World history (3 units/A), Macro Econ (3 units/A), Calc 1 (5 units/C), Child Development (3 units/C)

And I am currently retaking the Bio and Orgo Chem

What would be my gpa if med schools were to calculate it? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. You enter every grade you've ever received from any college anywhere.
So I calculated it and with everything added I have a 1.88 with 167 semester units.

To get my GPA up to a 3.2 I need 275 units with a 4.0
Maybe I should just stick to DO schools and retake those C's along the way.
Or maybe a med school in the Caribbean's or India?
What do you think?

Thank you

So I calculated it and with everything added I have a 1.88 with 167 semester units.

To get my GPA up to a 3.2 I need 275 units with a 4.0
Maybe I should just stick to DO schools and retake those C's along the way.
Or maybe a med school in the Caribbean's or India?
What do you think?

Thank you
The DO primary application no longer does grade replacement. International medical schools are a terrible idea if your goal is to practice in the US.

I honestly don't know what to tell you at this point. I feel like your best bet would be to completely rock your classes for at least 2 years (3.8+ GPA each semester) and apply to SMPs. That said, there's two issues with this route. The first is that most SMPs have a minimum GPA requirement. I'm not sure if you'll meet that for most of them. You should do some research to find out if there are any SMPs that do not have this requirement or have a lower minimum GPA that you can reasonably attain. The second issue is that your past academic history does not indicate that you'll be able to maintain a 3.8+ GPA for several semesters in a row. Until you address the issues that are causing you to struggle in your classes, I would not recommend enrolling in any more classes. You need to figure out how to study, manage your time better, or otherwise address whatever the cause of your poor academic performance is. Once you're sure you've addressed these problems and can therefore maintain an excellent GPA you could restart classes.

The DO primary application no longer does grade replacement. International medical schools are a terrible idea if your goal is to practice in the US.

I honestly don't know what to tell you at this point. I feel like your best bet would be to completely rock your classes for at least 2 years (3.8+ GPA each semester) and apply to SMPs. That said, there's two issues with this route. The first is that most SMPs have a minimum GPA requirement. I'm not sure if you'll meet that for most of them. You should do some research to find out if there are any SMPs that do not have this requirement or have a lower minimum GPA that you can reasonably attain. The second issue is that your past academic history does not indicate that you'll be able to maintain a 3.8+ GPA for several semesters in a row. Until you address the issues that are causing you to struggle in your classes, I would not recommend enrolling in any more classes. You need to figure out how to study, manage your time better, or otherwise address whatever the cause of your poor academic performance is. Once you're sure you've addressed these problems and can therefore maintain an excellent GPA you could restart classes.
Thank you for the very imformative post.
I am currently working on my study habbits. I'm doing well in my current classes this semester and aced my most recent summer classes.

Would an upward trend in the next 3 years be enough to impress med schools and show them I have changed?

Also, could I retake some of the C grade classes elsewhere for medschools to average those out as well? Would it help?

Last edited:
Thank you for the very imformative post.
I am currently working on my study habbits. I'm doing well in my current classes this semester and aced my most recent summer classes.

Would an upward trend in the next 3 years be enough to impress med schools and show them I have changed?

Also, could I retake some of the C grade classes elsewhere for medschools to average those out as well? Would it help?
Retaking classes you got a C in will not help. I do not forsee you being able to raise your GPA high enough to apply to medical schools without first completing an SMP.

You need 275 more hours at 4.0 to get you to 3.2? Is that what you mean? Do you have a Plan B? Based on your past performance I don’t know how realistic it is for you to even think you can string together several semesters of 3.8+ work. How do you know you even want to be a doctor? What makes you think a four year school will allow you to transfer with a1.88 GPA? Have you done any shadowing or clinical volunteering? So many questions you need to answer and think about. But one thing for sure-DO NOT GO TO THE CARIBBEAN. You would of course be accepted, they would take your money, fail you and you’d be deeply in debt with no way of paying it back.

Reactions: 1 user