2.3 CC GPA according to AMCAS calculation, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john7991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a CC, withdrew from some courses, failed some courses, retook them, and I graduated with a cGPA (with replacement grades) of 2.8. I recently learned AMCAS will calculate my CC GPA and they will get 2.3 since they consider all grades from all classes (unless you got a W, a P, etc). I have never completed a science course at my CC. I took them in the beginning but then withdrew once I learned that medical schools don’t like prereqs taken at CCs. I am now in a 4 year, I transferred from my CC. I don’t have a GPA yet because I haven’t completed any courses. My highest possible AMCAS GPA is 3.15, and that’s after my senior year when all credits are completed, meaning by my junior year, when premeds typically apply to med schools, my AMCAS GPA will be maybe 2.9.

If I do well in my science courses, maintain As throughout my time at the 4 year, score a competitive MCAT, extracurriculars, volunteer, research, will my chances of getting into a medical school rise? Do I even have a chance at this point? I read Goro’s advice on reinvention and they said that SMPs and post baccs should be considered for someone in my shoes and I’ll go that route if I have to.

Any advice will be accepted and if you feel the need to be brutally honest, that’s fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Brutally honest -- with your GPA, you won't be applying after your junior year, so you no longer have to worry about that. OTOH, you absolutely do have a chance, as you know from reading @Goro's guide. That's the advice.

You can't go back and change what's already done, so no sense dwelling on it. Do your best going forward. Check all the boxes, show a massive upward trend and reinvent through excellent post-bacc work. You know what you need to do, and, if you've been reading SDN and paying attention, you know people have successfully come back from worse.

But, no, with a 2.8, 2.3, or anything close to that after completing CC, you will not be a successful applicant after your junior year of UG. That's no longer "typical" anyway, since around 2/3 of all applicants and matriculants have at least one gap year. Depending on how your next 2 years go, you might be looking at several gap years, since you really shouldn't be focusing on ECs until your get your grades under control. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What science prerequisite courses will you have taken when you’re applying? Will you have taken enough to do well on the MCAT?

You mention not taking any science courses at your CC, and then applying after your junior year (which seems to be after 1 year at the new institution?).

That suggests to me you’ll have just completed general chemistry and intro biology and maybe intro physics if you stack them all together, which I’m not sure I’d recommend. That doesn’t sound like enough science coursework to put you in a good spot for the MCAT or to be a competitive applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a CC, withdrew from some courses, failed some courses, retook them, and I graduated with a cGPA (with replacement grades) of 2.8. I recently learned AMCAS will calculate my CC GPA and they will get 2.3 since they consider all grades from all classes (unless you got a W, a P, etc). I have never completed a science course at my CC. I took them in the beginning but then withdrew once I learned that medical schools don’t like prereqs taken at CCs. I am now in a 4 year, I transferred from my CC. I don’t have a GPA yet because I haven’t completed any courses. My highest possible AMCAS GPA is 3.15, and that’s after my senior year when all credits are completed, meaning by my junior year, when premeds typically apply to med schools, my AMCAS GPA will be maybe 2.9.

If I do well in my science courses, maintain As throughout my time at the 4 year, score a competitive MCAT, extracurriculars, volunteer, research, will my chances of getting into a medical school rise? Do I even have a chance at this point? I read Goro’s advice on reinvention and they said that SMPs and post baccs should be considered for someone in my shoes and I’ll go that route if I have to.

Any advice will be accepted and if you feel the need to be brutally honest, that’s fine.
John,

Forget about applying after your third year and you probably should count on needing to do a postbac if you want MD. If you get A's until graduation, do well on the MCAT, have great experiences, etc. then you might get serious consideration from DO programs provided you apply after your graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Moving to WAMC.

As others have said, it's time to accept that you're not applying after junior year. You need to maximize your opportunity to bring up your GPA, and that means at least applying after your senior year. If you can ace everything from here on out with a 3.7+ GPA going forward that will show reinvention and put DO and state schools in play if you also do well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
Moving to WAMC.

As others have said, it's time to accept that you're not applying after junior year. You need to maximize your opportunity to bring up your GPA, and that means at least applying after your senior year. If you can ace everything from here on out with a 3.7+ GPA going forward that will show reinvention and put DO and state schools in play if you also do well on the MCAT.
If I can manage a 3.7 or ace everything like @Goro said and achieve a competitive MCAT score, do you think I’ll be able to get into an SMP like Georgetown despite my record at CC?

Reactions: 1 users
If I can manage a 3.7 or ace everything like @Goro said and achieve a competitive MCAT score, do you think I’ll be able to get into an SMP like Georgetown despite my record at CC?
Maybe. Many programs have a hard GPA cutoff so it depends how you actually perform

Reactions: 1 users