Need Help Choosing School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coconuttree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was currently offered to study biomedical engineering at one school while offered to play soccer and study exercise science at the other school.
I would basically paying the same at both schools only a slight 2k more at the biomedical engineering school.
Im not sure if pursuing the biomedical engineering major plus adding pre reqs would affect my chances in getting good gpa, getting good rec letters, enough time to volunteer apart from studying lots of hours which is what I hear from engineering majors. Biomedical engineering seems cool since I have always liked to work around technology and if I do not get accepted to med school I would have something to fall back on.

At the school offering exercise science this school is a private very small school. I would be studying exercise science and would be paying around 7k per year. I love playing soccer but don't know if I should continue here. I looked at the exercise science curriculum and it does not seem very challenging. I am very good at math and the only math class it offers is college algebra which I do can not believe even taking since I currently take calculus as a senior. If I would not get into med school I have seen the job opportunities and they would not pay enough by having this degree. I am also interested in this since I have always loved to research and read about the science in sports and also the science behind weight training which I also like to do.

Overall I need help and suggestions and would also like to here from ex college athletes that have made it into medical school. Do you believe I should continue my soccer career or continue and pursue a biomed engineering BS. to try to get to med school.
Below are the curriculums to both schools attached.
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.25.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.25.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.25.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.25.52 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• BioMedEngg.pdf
    176.6 KB · Views: 36
EASY!!! Just go to that school and play soccer. Is it Div I? If so with that schedule and playing some kind of sport with at least a 3.2-3.0 GPA you're in. I know several buddies that played football and did below average that got in. I mean 2.8-3.0 GPA. Just make sure you take pre reqs after you graduate i would highly recommended that or doing summer school take 1 to 2 classes. You're gonna be so glad you did. College is not easy but atleast from what i hear you should have no problems getting the right GPA. As for volunteering i would focus summers on shadowing at least thats what my buddies did. Because you play a sport they don't expect a lot out of you like the rest of us. My .02

Reactions: 1 user
EASY!!! Just go to that school and play soccer. Is it Div I? If so with that schedule and playing some kind of sport with at least a 3.2-3.0 GPA you're in. I know several buddies that played football and did below average that got in. I mean 2.8-3.0 GPA. Just make sure you take pre reqs after you graduate i would highly recommended that or doing summer school take 1 to 2 classes. You're gonna be so glad you did. College is not easy but atleast from what i hear you should have no problems getting the right GPA. As for volunteering i would focus summers on shadowing at least thats what my buddies did. Because you play a sport they don't expect a lot out of you like the rest of us. My .02

I'm not so sure that being a D1 athlete (or D2 or D3) is a free ticket into medical school, but it certainly helps show dedication and discipline, if you get decent grades. I think saying D1 athletes with a 2.8-3.0 GPA have a ticket into medical school is a bit of a stretch. OP do you already have a degree? If not, you're not a "nontraditional" applicant and your question would be better off in the pre med threads. If you do have a degree, I don't think you can play a NCAA sport as you only have 5 years of eligibility once you start as a student. If you are playing a club sport, which typically requires less time than a NCAA team, or if you're going to play intramural soccer, it won't really make as much of an impact on your application and you should pick the school you want to go to most.

Members don't see this ad :)

NAIA but is at the bottom of its conference or league

I'm not so sure that being a D1 athlete (or D2 or D3) is a free ticket into medical school, but it certainly helps show dedication and discipline, if you get decent grades. I think saying D1 athletes with a 2.8-3.0 GPA have a ticket into medical school is a bit of a stretch. OP do you already have a degree? If not, you're not a "nontraditional" applicant and your question would be better off in the pre med threads. If you do have a degree, I don't think you can play a NCAA sport as you only have 5 years of eligibility once you start as a student. If you are playing a club sport, which typically requires less time than a NCAA team, or if you're going to play intramural soccer, it won't really make as much of an impact on your application and you should pick the school you want to go to most.

New to this so I thought this would be the place to post it :( . Also Im currently a HS Senior. NAIA

New to this so I thought this would be the place to post it :( . Also Im currently a HS Senior. NAIA
Yep! Not a nontrad. Non traditional are people who have taken a non traditional path to medicine i.e. did other careers first etc. You’re just a premed!

NAIA but is at the bottom of its conference or league
That's something you still use. I wish i'd taking the chance on using my eligibility. But just try to keep focus with a >3.2. I wouldn't say lack off but you get what I'm saying. Good luck!