Need help choosing schools-input appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

[insertname]

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I will be applying to MD/PhD/ MSTP programs during this cycle and was wondering if I could get some input on schools that I should apply to, as my university does not have advisors for MD/PhD programs.

Undergrad university: State School
cGPA: 3.9
science GPA: 3.87
MCAT: 37

Awards:
-PBK as a sophomore
-Goldwater

Research:
-2 funded summer research internships
-Started research on campus fall of sophomore year
-First author publication from lab 1, working on thesis in lab 2
-Multiple conference presentations
-1 semester abroad to do research, will be presenting results at national conference

Extracurricular activities:
-Editor-in-Chief of school's literary magazine
-TA for 3 years; physiology, english, and math
-1 semester of volunteering at local hospital; worked directly with patients
-Some volunteering with leadership roles
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

I will be applying to MD/PhD/ MSTP programs during this cycle and was wondering if I could get some input on schools that I should apply to, as my university does not have advisors for MD/PhD programs. Many thanks!

Undergrad university: State School
cGPA: 3.9
science GPA: 3.87
MCAT: 37
Degree: B.A., sciences and humanities
Gender: F

Awards:
-Full-ride scholarship program at current school
-Departmental scholarship
-PBK as a sophomore
-Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship

Miscellaneous:
-Speak 2 languages fluently, 2 advanced intermediate, and 1 intermediate

Research:
-2 funded summer research internships, once of which was an AMGEN; third summer at world-class research facility abroad
-Started research on campus fall of sophomore year(assuming high school experience does not count); have actively worked in the same 2 labs
-First author publication from lab 1, working on thesis in lab 2
-Multiple conference presentations
-1 semester abroad to do research, will be presenting results at national conference

Extracurricular activities:
-Have done a considerable amount of work to improve school's research program and experience for students. This is my primary commitment.
-Serve as the student representative on several undergraduate research advisory committees on campus
-Editor-in-Chief of school's literary magazine
-Biology TA for 3 years
-1 semester of volunteering at local hospital; worked directly with patients in field that I hope to pursue.
-Some volunteering with leadership roles

Major concerns: 1)GPA 2)I suspect that one of my letters, from a PI whom I worked for one summer, won't be great...frankly, I don't know, but she is a harsh person and very hard to please. However, I do think that the other 4 will be outstanding. 3)Lack of extensive clinical experience and volunteering.

With these conflicting factors, I'm honestly lost. Please take a moment to share your advice, even if it is to tell me how many reach, middle, and safety schools I should apply for. Thank you!
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the GPA... The lack of clinical experience could be a problem, although you don't need much. Your application is actually very similar mine (Except for my lack of publications) and I've had a successful cycle with <200 hours of clinical volunteering and VERY minimal shadowing experience.

Everything else looks great!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, mynameistoolong and reckoner.

Can anyone provide suggestions regarding the number of schools in each tier I should probably apply to? That would be very helpful.
 
Last edited:
You should apply to at least 15 programs. You can skew towards more competitive programs, but have a few safeties. A reasonable ratio might be 10 more competitive school and 5 safeties. If you decide to apply to 20 schools, you can do 15 competitive with 5 safeties.