Need help choosing schools-input appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[insertname]

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be applying to MD/PhD/ MSTP programs during this cycle and was wondering if I could get some input on schools that I should apply to, as my university does not have advisors for MD/PhD programs.

Undergrad university: State School
cGPA: 3.9
science GPA: 3.87
MCAT: 37

Awards:
-PBK as a sophomore
-Goldwater

Research:
-2 funded summer research internships
-Started research on campus fall of sophomore year
-First author publication from lab 1, working on thesis in lab 2
-Multiple conference presentations
-1 semester abroad to do research, will be presenting results at national conference

Extracurricular activities:
-Editor-in-Chief of school's literary magazine
-TA for 3 years; physiology, english, and math
-1 semester of volunteering at local hospital; worked directly with patients
-Some volunteering with leadership roles

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I will be applying to MD/PhD/ MSTP programs during this cycle and was wondering if I could get some input on schools that I should apply to, as my university does not have advisors for MD/PhD programs. Many thanks!

Undergrad university: State School
cGPA: 3.9
science GPA: 3.87
MCAT: 37
Degree: B.A., sciences and humanities

Awards:
-Full-ride scholarship program at current school
-Departmental scholarship
-PBK as a sophomore
-Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship

Miscellaneous:
-Speak 2 languages fluently, 2 advanced intermediate, and 1 intermediate

Research:
-2 funded summer research internships, once of which was an AMGEN; third summer at world-class research facility abroad
-Started research on campus fall of sophomore year(assuming high school experience does not count); have actively worked in the same 2 labs
-First author publication from lab 1, working on thesis in lab 2
-Multiple conference presentations
-1 semester abroad to do research, will be presenting results at national conference

Extracurricular activities:
-Have done a considerable amount of work to improve school's research program and experience for students. This is my primary commitment.
-Serve as the student representative on several undergraduate research advisory committees on campus
-Editor-in-Chief of school's literary magazine
-Biology TA for 3 years
-1 semester of volunteering at local hospital; worked directly with patients in field that I hope to pursue.
-Some volunteering with leadership roles

Major concerns: 1)GPA 2)I suspect that one of my letters, from a PI whom I worked for one summer, won't be great...frankly, I don't know, but she is a harsh person and very hard to please. However, I do think that the other 4 will be outstanding. 3)Lack of extensive clinical experience and volunteering.

With these conflicting factors, I'm honestly lost. Please take a moment to share your advice, even if it is to tell me how many reach, middle, and safety schools I should apply for. Thank you!
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the GPA... The lack of clinical experience could be a problem, although you don't need much. Your application is actually very similar mine (Except for my lack of publications) and I've had a successful cycle with <200 hours of clinical volunteering and VERY minimal shadowing experience.

Everything else looks great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, mynameistoolong and reckoner.

Can anyone provide suggestions regarding the number of schools in each tier I should probably apply to? That would be very helpful.

Last edited:
You should apply to at least 15 programs. You can skew towards more competitive programs, but have a few safeties. A reasonable ratio might be 10 more competitive school and 5 safeties. If you decide to apply to 20 schools, you can do 15 competitive with 5 safeties.

Reactions: 1 users