Need help deciding, Michigan vs. Mississippi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSJ

Michigan State CVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to have been accepted to several schools. I have narrowed it down to Mississippi and Michigan. I just got off the Michigan waitlist today and have already sent in my deposit to Mississippi State.
I really liked both schools so it is a really hard decision. I find it really hard to compare schools as I am not really sure what I should be looking for and what is really important. I am mainly interested in equine and would possibly like to do an MPH while in vet school (offered at both schools.)
I interviewed at Mississippi and then flew directly to Michigan to interview. Mississippi did a great job presenting their school. They had a first year student email me a few weeks ahead of time. The night before interviews they had a tour of the school and pizza party. I also met my mentor there and alot of other current students. Before the interviews they had a detailed info session. I also spent an entire day on campus and really got to know the general Miss State campus. For Michigan, they only interview a few people per day so it was not a big production like Miss. was. I had to be there a 1/2 hour before my interview started and just got a quick tour afterwards with a quick info session. They definitely did not take the time that Mississippi took in presenting their school so they are hard to compare. I got the "warm, fuzzy" feeling from Mississippi though and after coming home from interviews my gut feeling was that I liked Mississippi better (although now, I have no idea where that gut feeling went!) I did really like Michigan as well though.
Mississippi State
Pros

- I loved the campus, the vet school is surrounded by horse pastures.
-Everyone is very friendly and welcoming.
- Smaller class size (~72)
_ Faculty seemed very friendly and very interested/concerned with students.
- They seemed to really take the time to get to know their potential students during interviews.
- Warmer weather. I like being outside so this would be nice! It would also be nice if I did decide to move my horses to school to be in a warmer climate.
- 2 year didactic/2 year clinical curriculum
Cons
- Not much in Starkville, although not necessarily a bad thing
- 21 hours from home
- Smaller case load (about 1/2 the size of Michigan State's)
Michigan State
Pros

- Large equine program
- Large caseload
- Alot of equine related research
- Alot more faculty
- Higher ranked school (although this does not seem to matter from what I have read)
- Well known for equine
- Closer to home (13 hours)
Cons
- Cold!
- Larger class size (~100- 108)
- Not as personal feeling

They are both about equal in price. I just sent a $500 deposit to Mississippi and started an online Immunology course as a prereq (another $850.) For Michigan I would have to take an online cell bio course (they won't accept the immuno, I asked) which begins May 8th and costs $1550! For the cost of tuition at both schools this is sort of pennies though :rolleyes:
Any other suggestions on things to look into for both schools?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

OSJ, the warm fuzzy feeling is very important (at least to me) but it sounds like Michigan also has a lot to offer, especially equine-wise. Could you possibly go visit Michigan again before you have to decide? I don't have experience with either school so I really can't say much other than what I've thought about/gone through trying to decide about schools on my own. :)

You know what really helped me? I thought ... if I go to UPenn and see someone from Tufts, will I be jealous? No way. If I go to Tufts and see someone from UPenn, will I be jealous? Okay ... maybe a little ... or a lot ... :D I just loved UPenn - I really did. So that really helped me figure out what school I wanted to be at. Picture yourself at each one and think about the other. How happy will you be there? That's really, really important.

Hmmm... It seems to me that if you had a good feeling about Mississipi, you deposited at Mississipi, and you've already invested time and money into a pre-req, that absent any really compelling reasons to choose Michigan, you should just stick with Mississipi.

It's not as though you are weighing two drastically unequal choices, but all things considered, it seems Mississipi comes out ahead. You DON'T have to spend another $1550. You DON'T have to give up that much more of your summer before vet school (and trust me, you will wish you took some time to relax). You are looking at a horrendous drive home from either place, so more than likely a plane trip in any event. You can keep and RIDE your horse more often given the weather in Mississipi.

I happen to think small class size is a huge plus, as is the two years of clinics. If you really want to specialize, you are going to be looking at a residency anyway, and that's when you can worry more about who has the "best" equine program. Your first 4 years of vet school aren't really about specialization, and you should go where you think you've got the best chance to be successfully mentored through a rigorous program.

Take all this for what it's worth--my opinion. But again, unless you have a compelling reason to switch gears, I'd recommend sticking with the road you've already started on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Given the better feelings you got from Mississippi and how much you like the campus and environment, I'd stick with your first choice. Plus, for me anyways, the two years of clinical exposure seems like a really great benefit. You'll learn a lot there, and if you're worried about the smaller caseload, having more exposure to the hospital environment might make up for that weakness.

Thanks everyone! I'm still really on the fence about this one but appreciate your feedback! I may just have to visit both schools one more time! :)

And if you get called off the LSU waitlist.....?:p

Then I will really lose it! :eek:

Hey there. I see you have chosen Michigan. Congrats on your decision.. I know it was a hard one for you :)

Thanks! It was a really really hard decision but Michigan seems better for horses and that is what I'm all about. I hope you get my spot at Mississippi! I loved the school and wish I could go to both of them. :)