Need Help Deciding: Midwestern MWU-IL vs. GSDM Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zerotohero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I got into Midwestern College of Dental Medicine- Illinois and Goldman School of Dental Medicine - Boston University. I do not have family at either school and (it may be too early to say) I hope to pursue some form of residency.

Factors to consider at both schools:
    • MWU-IL is in the suburbs and I enjoy the suburbs. I like driving to school and the city life does not appeal to me at all
    • GSDM-BU is in the heart of Boston- super busy, trains everywhere, etc.
  • Seniority:
    • MWU-IL just graduated their first class in 2015 making them less established but have newer technology
    • GSDM-BU is very established and has been around for decades.
  • LECTURE RECORDINGS
    • MWU-IL: They do not provide lecture recordings!! This factor is nearly a deciding factor as throughout undergrad, I relied on recorded lectures to get through the material. All lectures have to be attended and they are not too fond of sharing notes. Any insight on this?
  • Cost:
    • MWU-IL: cheaper cost of living
    • GSDM-BU: more expensive
    • Both schools have similar tuition.
Can someone help me decide? I am leaning towards MWU-IL but something tells me I will have more opportunities at GSDM-BU. Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

BU, MW-IL has a tiny patient pool, so it doesn't offer much of a clinical experience.
Thanks! I heard after they built the new clinic they have tons of patients. They say the patient pool at BU suffers because there are 2 other dental schools close by. Any thought?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I heard after they built the new clinic they have tons of patients. They say the patient pool at BU suffers because there are 2 other dental schools close by. Any thought?

You heard wrong or they lied to you. Their new clinic is at middle of nowhere in middle of nowhere, lol. Having patients to compete for is a whole lot better than having no patients.

I've also heard that mwu-il doesn't have any problems with patients. They have more than enough

Reactions: 2 users