need help deciding on school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastapro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 choices currently and don't know what to do... need advice.

1) go to a small specialized college
pros: easier, more interaction with teachers, only 6 years, cheaper
cons: too small, no sports, no fun, strictly pharmacy
examples: St Louis College of Pharmacy, Albany College of Pharmacy, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy

2) go to a big university
pros: party, sports team, fun, change major possible
cons:more expensive, 7 years(most), no interaction with teachers, harder
examples: Southern Illinois - Edwardsville, Drake, Iowa, Toledo, Connecticut

Members don't see this ad.

I don't like sports and fun isn't a factor for me in determining what I'm going to do for the rest of my life, so I'd go with (A).

YMMV though and there will be a lot of varying opinions on this.

Why not go to a big university, get your partying and sports in, get your degree, and do 3/4 years at a pharmacy school? It looks like you're talking about strictly doing 0-6/0-7 programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought there were only 0+6/0+7 programs.. wut other path can i go down?

Where you do your undergrad doesn't matter (for the most part)... I would go big and have a good time. By the end of your third year, you should have a solid idea of where you want to go for the next big stage of your academic career.

If you're picking a school because one of the pros are 'partying' you may need to rethink what you're doing.

That is not a benefit of a school for attempting to earn a difficult to degree. If anything, its a hinderence because the temptation will be more available.

Well, social life is important for some people. Some people that do school/work 24/7 and nothing else become depressed or burn out.

Of course with big schools it's not just "partying", it's also various extracurricular activities that can suit any person.

Don't say that 0-6 programs are easier, because they are not.

I go to a small school with a 0-6 program, and IMO I'd probably rather go to a bigger school with a 0-6 program (as long as that school has a good reputation, good rotation choices, availability of faculty knowledgeable in the field of pharmacy you want to pursue, etc...). But I don't know. If I went to a bigger school, who knows, maybe I'd say the opposite.

So I have 2 choices currently and don't know what to do... need advice.

1) go to a small specialized college
pros: easier, more interaction with teachers, only 6 years, cheaper
cons: too small, no sports, no fun, strictly pharmacy
examples: St Louis College of Pharmacy, Albany College of Pharmacy, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy

2) go to a big university
pros: party, sports team, fun, change major possible
cons:more expensive, 7 years(most), no interaction with teachers, harder
examples: Southern Illinois - Edwardsville, Drake, Iowa, Toledo, Connecticut

i don't think "party" should really factor into the pros of any college decision. just because a school is not a "party" school doesn't mean you can't have fun.......johns hopkins has the reputation of being cutthroat and full of nerds but there's plenty of extra-curriculars and things to do.

Well, social life is important for some people. Some people that do school/work 24/7 and nothing else become depressed or burn out.

Of course with big schools it's not just "partying", it's also various extracurricular activities that can suit any person.

I go to a small school with a 0-6 program, and IMO I'd probably rather go to a bigger school with a 0-6 program (as long as that school has a good reputation, good rotation choices, availability of faculty knowledgeable in the field of pharmacy you want to pursue, etc...). But I don't know. If I went to a bigger school, who knows, maybe I'd say the opposite.

Yea, but if the main reason you chose a school is because its a party school... well maybe you should pick a major that isn't as demanding

+1

I went big for both...and am so, so glad. I wouldn't have had half the opportunities I had for extracurriculars had I gone to a small liberal arts college, and might not have been accepted to the pharmacy schools I was. Even with a 6 year program, it's nice to have a variety of opportunities and people to interact with.

can you guys list out some good 0+6 "big" universities with like sports and such? I guess partying isn't as important but sports are pretty important to me

Rutgers, but it's pretty hard to get into.
Not sure if there are other ones, since 0-6 programs are shutting down right and left.