need help deciding on school

Started by mastapro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mastapro

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have 2 choices currently and don't know what to do... need advice.

1) go to a small specialized college
pros: easier, more interaction with teachers, only 6 years, cheaper
cons: too small, no sports, no fun, strictly pharmacy
examples: St Louis College of Pharmacy, Albany College of Pharmacy, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy

2) go to a big university
pros: party, sports team, fun, change major possible
cons:more expensive, 7 years(most), no interaction with teachers, harder
examples: Southern Illinois - Edwardsville, Drake, Iowa, Toledo, Connecticut
 
I don't like sports and fun isn't a factor for me in determining what I'm going to do for the rest of my life, so I'd go with (A).

YMMV though and there will be a lot of varying opinions on this.

Why not go to a big university, get your partying and sports in, get your degree, and do 3/4 years at a pharmacy school? It looks like you're talking about strictly doing 0-6/0-7 programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where you do your undergrad doesn't matter (for the most part)... I would go big and have a good time. By the end of your third year, you should have a solid idea of where you want to go for the next big stage of your academic career.
 
If you're picking a school because one of the pros are 'partying' you may need to rethink what you're doing.

That is not a benefit of a school for attempting to earn a difficult to degree. If anything, its a hinderence because the temptation will be more available.
 
Well, social life is important for some people. Some people that do school/work 24/7 and nothing else become depressed or burn out.

Of course with big schools it's not just "partying", it's also various extracurricular activities that can suit any person.

Don't say that 0-6 programs are easier, because they are not.

I go to a small school with a 0-6 program, and IMO I'd probably rather go to a bigger school with a 0-6 program (as long as that school has a good reputation, good rotation choices, availability of faculty knowledgeable in the field of pharmacy you want to pursue, etc...). But I don't know. If I went to a bigger school, who knows, maybe I'd say the opposite.
 
So I have 2 choices currently and don't know what to do... need advice.

1) go to a small specialized college
pros: easier, more interaction with teachers, only 6 years, cheaper
cons: too small, no sports, no fun, strictly pharmacy
examples: St Louis College of Pharmacy, Albany College of Pharmacy, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy

2) go to a big university
pros: party, sports team, fun, change major possible
cons:more expensive, 7 years(most), no interaction with teachers, harder
examples: Southern Illinois - Edwardsville, Drake, Iowa, Toledo, Connecticut

i don't think "party" should really factor into the pros of any college decision. just because a school is not a "party" school doesn't mean you can't have fun.......johns hopkins has the reputation of being cutthroat and full of nerds but there's plenty of extra-curriculars and things to do.
 
Well, social life is important for some people. Some people that do school/work 24/7 and nothing else become depressed or burn out.

Of course with big schools it's not just "partying", it's also various extracurricular activities that can suit any person.

Don't say that 0-6 programs are easier, because they are not.

I go to a small school with a 0-6 program, and IMO I'd probably rather go to a bigger school with a 0-6 program (as long as that school has a good reputation, good rotation choices, availability of faculty knowledgeable in the field of pharmacy you want to pursue, etc...). But I don't know. If I went to a bigger school, who knows, maybe I'd say the opposite.

Yea, but if the main reason you chose a school is because its a party school... well maybe you should pick a major that isn't as demanding
 
Of course with big schools it's not just "partying", it's also various extracurricular activities that can suit any person.

Don't say that 0-6 programs are easier, because they are not.

I go to a small school with a 0-6 program, and IMO I'd probably rather go to a bigger school with a 0-6 program (as long as that school has a good reputation, good rotation choices, availability of faculty knowledgeable in the field of pharmacy you want to pursue, etc...). But I don't know. If I went to a bigger school, who knows, maybe I'd say the opposite.

+1

I went big for both...and am so, so glad. I wouldn't have had half the opportunities I had for extracurriculars had I gone to a small liberal arts college, and might not have been accepted to the pharmacy schools I was. Even with a 6 year program, it's nice to have a variety of opportunities and people to interact with.
 
can you guys list out some good 0+6 "big" universities with like sports and such? I guess partying isn't as important but sports are pretty important to me
 
Rutgers, but it's pretty hard to get into.
Not sure if there are other ones, since 0-6 programs are shutting down right and left.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad