Need help deciding schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping for a little advice. I have a 3.7/27R. I am retaking MCAT in august and plan to do much better with Kaplan's help this time. I was curious if you guys could think of some good schools to apply to. I am an Oregon resident so obviously OHSU, but any other suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a neat little thread in Pre-allo right now on decision factors for schools; maybe some of the thoughts there can help in your process.

I think your GPA is above average for most schools (save the giant number ******), and your GPA is low average.

My numbers are right near yours; I did 20 schools (too many, but I included 5 reach schools for the hell of it). You may wanna look east. I'm in NY. I did all the SUNY schools except Downstate. SUNY no longer has the extraordinary bind to choose in-staters, so your numbers would be okay for some of the SUNYs. I also did Jefferson, Penn State, Mich State, MCV, EVMS, and Albany.

Good luck.

dc

What does SUNYs mean in reference to NY schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY stands for State University of New York, and includes Upstate, Downstate, and Stony Brook. I would also suggest Loyola, Vermont, Med Coll of Wisc.

I am a NY state resident and the SUNY schools don't except many out of state applicants. Residents still make up over 95% of the incoming classes. Just beacuse the SUNY schools don't get that many applications maybe 3500 or less for each school doesn't mean it is easy to get into. 27 on the MCAT is below average score for SUNY schools, especially Buffalo which is the best SUNY school. I got accepted at 7 schools;Goerge Washington, Georgetown, Bostin Univ., Albany, Chicago, etc. and as a state resident I got waitlisted at SUNY schools. The only state with more applicants than NY is CA nationally. If you want to end up in NY state think priavte schools.