Need help deciphering secondary prompt for Oakland?

Started by Hongiddong
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hongiddong

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDN community,


Essay #3 (Optional): Please explain any gaps in your education, if applicable. (400 Words)

1. I was not sure what this meant? Do they want me to explain what I did during my gap year?
Should I not respond because it is optional?

Essay #4: Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

2. I'm not sure what this sentence means or how I should answer this?
 
Hi SDN community,


Essay #3 (Optional): Please explain any gaps in your education, if applicable. (400 Words)

1. I was not sure what this meant? Do they want me to explain what I did during my gap year?
Should I not respond because it is optional?

Essay #4: Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

2. I'm not sure what this sentence means or how I should answer this?

1) Was your gap year after college? If so, ignore the question. If it was between high school and college, then yes, talk about it. It wants to know whether you took any time off schooling.

2) This is Oakland's catch all question inviting you to include anything interesting you want to share with the admissions committee that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere. In short, put something here that tells Oakland why you're special.

I'll give you an example: I mentioned that I grew up in a small town and then went to a relatively big city for college, and briefly explained how that has given me a unique perspective on two different styles of living/community.

Tip: Oakland values the following, I found: 1) community involvement and understanding. 2) research experience. My interviewer last year praised me multiple times for having a research background in addition to community involvement. They said applicants with strong stats and research experience were uncommon and valued in their applicant pool.
Disclaimer, I was in-state.
 
Last edited:
Hi Ngc,

I apologize for some misinformation.

Looking at my Microsoft word document, the second prompt was from PennState: Essay #4: Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)


Here is the prompt from Oakland:
Essay #2 (Optional): Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 Words)

Is the penn state prompt asking for more unique information from what I wrote in my primary application?

Thank you so much ngc and gonnif!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Ngc,

I apologize for some misinformation.

Looking at my Microsoft word document, the second prompt was from PennState: Essay #4: Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)


Here is the prompt from Oakland:
Essay #2 (Optional): Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 Words)

Is the penn state prompt asking for more unique information from what I wrote in my primary application?

Thank you so much ngc and gonnif!!
I was wondering about whether or not you had the right school when I first saw this thread because I remembered Oakland's as being something slightly different. As far as Oakland is concerned, I think the wording of the question suggests that they will not be pleased with an attempt to come up with something to say if you really don't have anything to add. Since they specifically say not to repeat anything you've already talked about, be very careful that any answer you provide is both meaningful and new information. In other essay prompts, it is acceptable to put a new spin on something you've already talked about, but doing that for this prompt would be shooting yourself in the foot.