NEED HELP: Einstein v. NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaynest

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an issue I've been dealing with for a little while now: Einstein or NYU? There are obviously many factors that go into making a decision including location, research opportunities, quality of the MST program, etc. Is anyone out there able to compare and contrast these two schools?

Clearly, NYU has a tremendous location advantage over Einstein. Furthermore, the facilities at Einstein seem to be a little older and more worn than comparable facilities at NYU. However, though Einstein is relatively small, the research appears to be both varied and top-notch; whereas, I was a little disappointed by some of the faculty I spoke with at NYU.

I would certainly welcome anyone's input into this matter. The big question: if you had a choice between these two programs, which would you pick and why?

Members don't see this ad.

hey jaynest,

my impressions of Einstein and NYU were very similar to yours when I was interviewing last year. One thing that scared me at NYU was how MD/PhD students are graded on a full scale (ABCDF) while other med students are graded P/F. That sucked. In general I liked the general feeling of Einstein more. Yeah, location is a bit of a pain. But I have friends there who drive/take the express bus into Manhattan almost every day (if you have a car and go after rush hour, you can be on the upper east side toll-free in 25 minutes). And honestly, there really isn't that much going on around where NYU Med is at in midtown. NYU has a better historical reputation as an MSTP program, and I think nowadays in both research and med school the rep is a little better than Einstein. So that's something to take into account. Housing at Einstein is awesome, if that's a concern. I also liked the students and faculty I met at Einstein more than those I came across at NYU. I think it's a tough call, but I think I would go with Einstein in a squeaker.

ATLien1224, thank you for your helpful and thoughtful reply! Though I still haven't fully made up my mind, I'm definitely leaning towards Einstein. In fact, for some of the very reasons you mentioned.

Either way, it's certainly not a bad dilemma to have. That much is sure.

Again, thanks for your input/advice. Any other advice is most certainly welcome!!!