Need help figuring out which OOS schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moi

Ecstatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm applying to all the schools here in TX, but I'm having trouble deciding which out of state schools to apply to. My stats are:

GPA: Graduated with a BS in Computer Science with a 3.89
Have been taking the rest of my prereqs at a CC - 4.0
MCAT: Taking it May 25th. Scores on Practice Tests so far: 33 and 36.
ECs: Bunch of campus involvement and officer positions in undergrad; volunteering at a hospital since Feb '06.

Thanks in advance
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Best advice would be to pick up a copy of the MSAR. The 2008-2009 MSAR was just released, and I bought a copy for myself to help me pick which schools would be a good fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another TX resident here:D A lot of it depends on what you want to do(ie big time research, etc) or where you want to live. I applied to a lot of OOS schools,like 20, which was a mistake, but PM me if you have any questions because I think I got it down pretty good.

EVMS and VCU seem to interview lots of OOS

Have you received it yet? I was under the impression that it's not out yet.

Best advice would be to pick up a copy of the MSAR. The 2008-2009 MSAR was just released, and I bought a copy for myself to help me pick which schools would be a good fit.

Personally, I've found the state schools in New York, Ohio and New Jersey to be pretty nice to OOS applicants. Plus, most of them will let you get in-state tuition at some point in your education.

new jersey is reportedly doing away with the "you can become an instate student" thing soon. massive budget cuts in higher education mean the state is broke when it comes to colleges/universities now.

Maybe I'm just a crappy applicant but I applied to NJ schools and never heard anything from them, even after I withdrew my applications. One of their secondaries even asks you about what ties you have with NJ. Just a heads up.

So, I'm applying to all the schools here in TX, but I'm having trouble deciding which out of state schools to apply to. My stats are:

GPA: Graduated with a BS in Computer Science with a 3.89
Have been taking the rest of my prereqs at a CC - 4.0
MCAT: Taking it May 25th. Scores on Practice Tests so far: 33 and 36.
ECs: Bunch of campus involvement and officer positions in undergrad; volunteering at a hospital since Feb '06.

Thanks in advance
:)
Do you have any ties to any other states? (for example: my dad graduated from a state med school in another state plus most of my immediate family now lives in that state so I applied and was accepted).

Plus it really depends on your MCAT score, if it's high enough you could always think about Michigan.

I don't really have ties to other states, apart from having relatives who live there (but didn't necessarily go to school there). I'll look into the schools and states you guys pointed out - I just ordered the MSAR today, so hopefully I'll get it soon.

Thanks everyon
e :)

Do you want to attend a public OOS school? Be aware that some charge whopping high tuition to OOS students. Consider the private OOS schools. Many treat in-state and out-of-state students the same in the admissions process.

The MSAR will pay for itself if you avoid even one "mistake" in the application process (given the cost of secondaries, it could pay for itself 4 times over).

Maybe I'm just a crappy applicant but I applied to NJ schools and never heard anything from them, even after I withdrew my applications. One of their secondaries even asks you about what ties you have with NJ. Just a heads up.

I applied and never heard from both AND I have plenty of family in NJ