Need help finding a D.O. to shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MED123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did my AACOMAS application on Dec. 1, 03 and in two weeks AACOMAS should be finished processing it. Two schools that I am applying for are NYCOM and Nova Southeastern. Nova however requires that I shadow a D.O. and get a letter of recommendation from a D.O. I am one of those applicants who decided late to get into D.O. schools. I like the philosophy of Osteopathic medicine and would be happy to get into one. But, I don't know any D.O. myself. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice to how to find a D. O. to shadow. If anyone has any experience with the two above schools, please share with me. I really appreciate your help.
I was relieved to see this website and how everyone helps each other. Thanks so much.

WannaBeDoc

Members don't see this ad.

Try the yellow pages, then start dialing and smiling. You will find a sympathetic ear eventually. Network your contacts. Try friends, pastor, business associates, etc.

why did you wait so long to get your application out? Did you apply MD originally and then panic thinking you might not get in. The reason I'm thinking this is because you're also trying to get a recommendation this late in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, just use the phone book. My best friend has shadowed 3 DO's and hasn't had trouble. He just called primary care docs. They're your best bet because they generally have more time to spend with patients and subquently with you and often they are more open. Speciality docs aren't receptive because their practices don't lend itself as easily to shadowing.

So, call and tell the secretary that you're a student, interested in Osteopathic medicine, primary care, and you were wondering if it would be possible for you to shadow the doc. She'll take down your name and call you back and probably schedule a time for you.

Good luck

you can also try your health insurance's directory

blue cross gives us a book with physicians and their numbers and indicates whether or not they are do or md; i had a hard time finding one

a lot are hesitant these days because of hippa privacy laws, etc.

Here is what I did and it worked great--call the schools to which you are applying and find DOs in your area that are graduates of that school. I got a great letter from a doc who was on the admissions board of the college a few years ago. Interviewed first day....promptly accepted. I don't think this would have happened without that letter.

If you ask the alumni relations of your undergraduate school, they can refer you to an osteopath. Almuni like to help their own.

MED123,

I agree with ad_sharp and scubadiva. Call the schools and get a list of alumni. At all my DO interviews, they always asked me if I have shadowed a DO. I always went with graduates from the school that I applied.

I am from West Virginia, a state with quite a few DO's. I bet I called 20 DO's and all of them told me that they did not allow people to shadow them. Most of them were family practice docs too. What I finally did was write a letter to a DO that I wanted to shadow.

I mailed it on a Monday, and he personally called me on Wednesday. I dont mean to offend anyone, but when you call the secretaries at doctors offices, a lot of times they do not give the doctor the message.

I shadowed this doc, who was a pediatrician, for a couple of days. I did have to keep on him for about 2 months to get him to mail the letters to the DO schools that I applied to.

Be prepared to keep after the physicians to complete your letter, especially this late in the game. They do get busy and forget a lot of the time. I wish you all the luck in your endeavor.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about the process.

i heard from teh dean at CCOM that the AOA has started a service that helps people math up with DO's. call them.

this seems 2 be a new service because when i was looking for a DO they didnt have this service available.

also i hope to God that you are not from Chicago because it is almost impossible to find a DO (or MD) to shadow becaus ethey dont wanna take students.

GOOD LUCK

Originally posted by moniagrl
i heard from teh dean at CCOM that the AOA has started a service that helps people math up with DO's.

That is great. I think it is something they should do and it would help out applicants who run into trouble like so many of us have.

I cannot thank you enough for all your help.

wannabedoc