Need help for a somewhat unique situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

11years

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am in what I believe to be a unique situation and I could really use some advice on how to best plan my future.

I started undergrad in 2005 and took a few pre-req courses. After about a year or so, I dropped out of school due to personal reasons. Since then, I have moved around, went in and out of school, and overall, had very little academic motivation. Needless to say, my grades suffered greatly.

Recently, I have straightened up my act and have revived both of my lifelong dreams. I wish to serve in the US military, and afterward, become a doctor. I am currently back in school and doing extremely well. After I graduate and assuming I get accepted into the military program that I am applying for and complete training, I will be serving for a minimum of 4 years. After this time, I plan to attend a post-bac program and then apply to medical school.

I am currently at a community college and I am planning to transfer next fall. I currently have two choices. I can apply to my number 1 choice and graduate with a degree in about 2.5 years, maybe a little longer. If I attend this school, I will have get many more benefits such as taking relevant, useful upper division courses such as Immunology and Medicinal Chemistry, and be given more opportunities such as research positions. If I apply to my number 2 choice, which is a much less reputable school, I will be able to graduate in either 2 or a little less than 2 years. This is because I will only have to complete the bare minimums to get a degree.

After graduation, I plan to continue volunteering and study for the MCATs while I am in the military. Once I get out, I hope to kill the MCATs and get into a post-bac program, then apply to medical school the following year.

Even though I have planned my future to the best of my ability and have done as much research as I can, I am still unsure of how to proceed. Should I try to get into school number 1 or should I try to get into school number 2? If I go to school number 2, then I will most likely be able to get save some time but I do miss out on learning about or having experiences that could potentially benefit me more in the long run.

Also, what kind of post-bac program should I be focused on? I assume that the pre-reqs I completed back in 2005 will be expired and useless for my medical application by the time I get there. Should I try to take the programs designed for graduates in non-science fields because of my expired classes? Or should I try to take the programs designed to raise the GPA of science majors (as my overall GPA will realistically be in the 3.2 range)? Or should I try to take a SMP type program?

Thank you so much for reading this long post. I hope I was able to convey my situation clearly. I will truly appreciate any insight, advice, perspective, or suggestions that anyone can give me! :)

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school, but I think for most schools, prereqs will not expire. So unless your grade was bad, you don't need to retake the prereqs that you already took.

If you care about research, and think you will be able to get one in the #1 school, then choose that one. IMO, research is not required to be accepted to most med school, unless you wanna apply to top tier.

About post-bac program, I think you should either try to raise your science gpa, or do smp type program... Others may give you a better answer.

Good luck!

Hm, I thought all pre-req's had to completed within the last 5 years? -- Not 100% sure on that, though I'm sure it depends on the school. I would advise you to take the MCAT during your junior or senior year and not while in the military since it would be wise to take the test with all your subjects still fresh in your mind --- Take it one summer when you don't have a whole lot going on.

I would also suggest to head into the school of your preference. Medical schools wont care which one you pick and they wont care about your upper level medically focused course work. If it was me I would enter into the program that prepares me well for the MCAT and can get me out the fastest so I can begin doing other things which are actually important to me -- i.e. medical school

No idea about post-bacc

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you try getting into medical school first and then serving as a doctor? I believe that there are programs where they will pay off your medical school loans in exchange for a few years of service so that might be more beneficial.

Hello SDN,

I am in what I believe to be a unique situation and I could really use some advice on how to best plan my future.

I started undergrad in 2005 and took a few pre-req courses. After about a year or so, I dropped out of school due to personal reasons. Since then, I have moved around, went in and out of school, and overall, had very little academic motivation. Needless to say, my grades suffered greatly.

Recently, I have straightened up my act and have revived both of my lifelong dreams. I wish to serve in the US military, and afterward, become a doctor. I am currently back in school and doing extremely well. After I graduate and assuming I get accepted into the military program that I am applying for and complete training, I will be serving for a minimum of 4 years. After this time, I plan to attend a post-bac program and then apply to medical school.

I am currently at a community college and I am planning to transfer next fall. I currently have two choices. I can apply to my number 1 choice and graduate with a degree in about 2.5 years, maybe a little longer. If I attend this school, I will have get many more benefits such as taking relevant, useful upper division courses such as Immunology and Medicinal Chemistry, and be given more opportunities such as research positions. If I apply to my number 2 choice, which is a much less reputable school, I will be able to graduate in either 2 or a little less than 2 years. This is because I will only have to complete the bare minimums to get a degree.

After graduation, I plan to continue volunteering and study for the MCATs while I am in the military. Once I get out, I hope to kill the MCATs and get into a post-bac program, then apply to medical school the following year.

Even though I have planned my future to the best of my ability and have done as much research as I can, I am still unsure of how to proceed. Should I try to get into school number 1 or should I try to get into school number 2? If I go to school number 2, then I will most likely be able to get save some time but I do miss out on learning about or having experiences that could potentially benefit me more in the long run.

Also, what kind of post-bac program should I be focused on? I assume that the pre-reqs I completed back in 2005 will be expired and useless for my medical application by the time I get there. Should I try to take the programs designed for graduates in non-science fields because of my expired classes? Or should I try to take the programs designed to raise the GPA of science majors (as my overall GPA will realistically be in the 3.2 range)? Or should I try to take a SMP type program?

Thank you so much for reading this long post. I hope I was able to convey my situation clearly. I will truly appreciate any insight, advice, perspective, or suggestions that anyone can give me! :)
If you are applying to medical school right after discharge from the military, why the post-bac? Post-bacs are for people who don't have the pre-reqs done (which you probably will if you are thinking about taking upper-level sciences) or people with poor GPA's, which I assume you don't have and don't plan on having. The same is true for SMP's. If you have good grades and the pre-reqs are completed, you won't need any other courses before medical school.

The tricky part comes down to the MCAT. It is best to take it when the material is fresh in your mind, i.e. shortly after completing the pre-reqs. However, the score is good for only 3 years, plus or minus, at most medical schools, so you would have to take it at the end of or right after your military service. This means you would have to do some extensive review of the material before taking the exam since the material won't be as fresh. I can't, however, see how re-taking 8 science classes just to prep for the MCAT makes sense....

Someone already mentioned it, but seriously look into going to medical school and serving as a physician after graduation. It might make the most sense instead of serving in the military between undergrad and med school. Good luck!

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I agree that serving in the military as a doctor makes the most sense. However, I am interested in entering the Marine Corps. The Marines, as part of the Department of the Navy, relies on the Navy for their health needs. The doctors for the Marines (called Corpsman, or Devil Docs) are all in the US Navy. I highly respect the Navy, along with the other branches, but I am only interested in joining the Marines. (If you would like to know why then please feel free to PM me.)

I have considered taking the MCAT while in undergrad, but like someone mentioned, the score will have expired by the time I am out of the military. Even though I will be out of school for a few years when I eventually take it, I am planning on reviewing/relearning the material as time passes.

I will most likely need a post-bac program for a few reasons. 1. My pre-reqs will have expired for most schools. 2. Due to mistakes in my earlier undergrad years, my GPA will not competitive. 3. I think it's safe to assume that I will not be ready for the rigors of medical school as soon as I am out. I am not underestimating how difficult post-bac programs are, but I will most likely need this year (or longer) to get myself mentally and academically ready for med school.

Again, thank you for the posts. Please keep them coming :)

Hey 11years. I'm brand new to SDN and trying not to fill up forums with a repeat question. Anyway, I came across this thread searching for topics relevant to my situation. I'm just curious what your status is at this point? I'm also curious why the MC, but I remember a time when no one could talk me out of it either, so I won't bother trying.

Also, you said you plan on killing the MCAT, then attending a Post-Bacc. If your knowledge is at a point that the MCAT goes that well for you, why would you still need a Post-Bacc? I'm planning on a Post-Bacc to get the required sciences as well as MCAT preparation; you've been looking into it longer than me, so am I missing something?

Also, you said you plan on killing the MCAT, then attending a Post-Bacc. If your knowledge is at a point that the MCAT goes that well for you, why would you still need a Post-Bacc? I'm planning on a Post-Bacc to get the required sciences as well as MCAT preparation; you've been looking into it longer than me, so am I missing something?

Some people use Post-Bacc for GPA repair or to do a link for med school...I'm only missing 1 prereq, but I plan to take as many postbacc courses as I can!