need help from acid base expert!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pyruvic acid is a weak acid. Which of following is a likely pH for an aqueous solution of sodium pyruvate?

correct answer: 8.0

kaplan's Reason:
The salt of a weak acid will hydrolyze in aqueous solution according to the following generalized equilibrium expression:
A- + H2O ---> HA + -OH

but, I don't get why by looking the above reaction, I would figure out the correct pH is 8?

If you are a acid base expert, please explain. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
Pyruvic acid is a weak acid. Which of following is a likely pH for an aqueous solution of sodium pyruvate?

correct answer: 8.0

kaplan's Reason:
The salt of a weak acid will hydrolyze in aqueous solution according to the following generalized equilibrium expression:
A- + H2O ---> HA + -OH

but, I don't get why by looking the above reaction, I would figure out the correct pH is 8?

If you are a acid base expert, please explain. Thanks!

I think I remember this question. I didnt even really need to know how it dissociates because you can look at the answer choices and eliminate obviously wrong answers. Since pyruvic acid is a weak acid, the pH couldnt have been less than 7(and I think I remember that two of the answers were less than 7), and it cant be really high, like 10+(and one or two of the answers were that high). Problems like these I dont try to reason out, just use common sense&keep it moving.

sodium pyruvate is the salt of the conjugate base of the weak acid. not knowing what the other choices were, 8 sounds reasonable.

the acid is weak because of an unstable anion for reasons such as: charge concentration, or lower electronegativity. this means that the conjugace base of the weak acid will be a strong base. pH of a base is anything beyond neutral pH 7, but in this case, its probably less than pH 12-14 (very strong bases). so, unless the other answer choices are all within pH 8-10, then you can use process of elimination. hope that helps. also, that rxn you drew down is just a general layout of an acid base reaction provided to give you an idea of how acids and bases work, you can't derive the pH from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can just think of the two(pyruvic acid and its conjugate salt) as a pair of buffer solution where one is weak acid and the other one is weak base. But i dont really know why the conjugate salt is basic.