NEED Help from D.O. Psychiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO-Riz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I have a question that Im sure alot of you out there faced/or have been exposed too. So say that I want to go to a MD residency program, and it is not dually accredited ( i.e. with the AOA ), how do I get past that 1 year Internship Requirements that certain states ( For me Id like to practice in Florida ) have in order to be licensed as a DO?? Otherwise the only option I could think of is to goto dually accredited programs, but they are so few in number, or just bite the bullet and do the 1 year Traditional path and then start the residency.
Id appreciate any input to this dilemma...as it has been perplexing me
Thanx in Advance

Rizwan ( Confused in Florida )

Members don't see this ad.

DO-Riz said:
Hey,
I have a question that Im sure alot of you out there faced/or have been exposed too. So say that I want to go to a MD residency program, and it is not dually accredited ( i.e. with the AOA ), how do I get past that 1 year Internship Requirements that certain states ( For me Id like to practice in Florida ) have in order to be licensed as a DO?? Otherwise the only option I could think of is to goto dually accredited programs, but they are so few in number, or just bite the bullet and do the 1 year Traditional path and then start the residency.
Id appreciate any input to this dilemma...as it has been perplexing me
Thanx in Advance

Rizwan ( Confused in Florida )

Hi DO-Riz,
Don't worry; last year there were at least two DOs from NSU in the psychiatry residency at UM and both got the year req waived due to hardship (i.e., having to move from an area because there's only an MD psychiatry residency eventhough that's where their partner and/or family is located).
Let us know how you fared.
Peace.