Need help/ guidance... PA trying for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderer108

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK hi everyone. I've been a surgical PA for about 2 yrs, now thinking about med school. My course is a little different from the average 'PA going for MD' story as in that my PA program was integrated into my college years. Thus, whatever courses my college required me to take, I did. I do not have certain classes like Physics/ physics labs. I took biology BUT no bio lab. And my chemistry and organic chem was combined into one and a half semesters.
Now that I am working, I thought post bacc would be the best option for me. However, I could only find one post Bacc that were for people who ALREADY took science and math classes (in NYC) I applied.. however was not accepted. I was definitely bummed out, to tell the truth, not getting accepted into the post bacc program didn't even cross my mind.

Now I'm stuck... I would really like to go to med school to advance my career. However, I would like to continue living in NYC and working to help finance this. But since the only post bacc I was eligible for rejected me, I'm at a loss. I have no idea what to do. As a last ditch resort, I might consider looking up post baccs in other states and just move.

I doubt anyone else out there is in a similar situation... but if someone could please help, thanks!
Feel free to ask questions if you don't understand anything!

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt anyone else out there is in a similar situation... but if someone could please help, thanks!
Feel free to ask questions if you don't understand anything!

You don't need a postbacc. Just take the classes you're missing at any local inexpensive college. community college is fine. You're already a PA and have an advanced degree. Even if you don't have the usual MS degree, it's still fine. Anyone with a BS can just take the missing classes, the MCAT, then apply.

I'm a PA who's graduating with a MD next week. (Woohoo!) Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Reactions: 2 users