Need Help in Choosing a Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon121

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I've been a lurker for a long time and this is my first post. I need help in choosing a major because Im required to declare it before the 25th of June. This isn't the "whats the best major" or "whats the easiest major" topics that i've read. Im going to my 2nd yr in Bachelore of Science Degree in UBC as a transfer from a local college. I have searched on this forum similar topics, and I'm aware that a lot of ppl would say that I should pick the major that i love. But the thing is I dont know what I love. Im the kind of guy who loves what he excels in, not excel in what he loves.

Right now, im down with 3 choices: Biochemistry, Cell biology and genetics, and Microbiology and Immunology. I need someone to analyze my aptitudes and suggest a suitable major that fits my category. Im a science minded student and never did good in other areas such as english or business.

So heres my info:

1st yr college grades:

Intro to Bio I = A-
Intro to Bio II = A
Intro to Chem I = B+
Intro to Chem II = on going. expecting a B+ or A-
Intro to Phys = A-
Phys for Life Sci = on going. expecting A- or A
Calculus for Life Sci I = A-

For Bio, Im generally good in everything. I hate topics like phylums, kingdoms, and almost anything related to plants. Im good in anything related to humans or higher mammals. Cell biology and the genetics part was above average, but not too good.

For chem, Im very good in stoichiometry, above average in organic chem. Im also above average in the topics on enthalpies and acid base Ka/Kb and topics related to it. But im bad at quantum chemistry.

I also dont fear math, and physics.

My goal is to attain the highest GPA that my aptitudes can offer. This doesnt mean that I want the easiest major out there, but the best major that fits in my category.

Thanks in advance. and sorry for the long post.:)

PS: If u need more info about me or questions. Pls ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man, don't follow the crowd and major in some sort of bio-crap. Everyone knows the cool kids major in physics. You want to be cool, right?

I know I wouldn't sign up for Biochem until after I've taken organic, because Bchem (and orgo as one particular requirement for the major) can really slaughter your GPA. There's also other hideousness often involved (such as PChem). So I'd probably narrow it down to cell bio and immunology.

Consider the career prospects, too - outside of med, that is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for more replies pls. :):)

He has to take Organic anyway if pre-med (cell bio/micro usually require organic and first semester biochem).The biochem degree offers a broader variety of classes (at least at my school). The micro degree is very focused on microbes (funny huh?).I would wait and take more courses if you cant decide yet. Organic and micro would be the best two to take to help you decide between the bio degrees.

You can always right the majors on pieces of paper, put them in a hat, pick one and you have your major.