Need Help Making My Plan For Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FelixMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so to give you some background. I am not one of those kids who knew from age 3 that they would be a doctor. In fact, I hated science in highschool. I did absolutely awful in high school chem and knew I would do graphic design when I went to college.

Well, I got to college and learned a lot more about the world than I'd known, and I changed my major to psychology. I was interested in the mind, and the further I went down the psych path, the more I realized that it was not for me. What was?

We talked about neurons one morning and I was hooked. This was something I'd never even heard of before, and here we were casually talking about how information is transmitted through the body. Still I couldn't get around the pseudo-scientific ideas that were at the core of the Psych curriculum. So, I changed my major to Biology after consulting my advisor.

I'll make this quick. I was in Biology and saw how many processes were occurring in the body. It was fascinating. Still, I couldn't get over how generalized everything was. I wanted to truly get at the core of these concepts. So, I tacked on Biochemistry as a second major wanting to get a better understanding of how the processes occured. Specifically it was the physiological topics I found myself really enjoying.

Knowing that this is what I wanted to become, I considered what jobs would allow me to continue this path. Physician came as a natural choice. I loved understanding how the body worked and was astounded by the complexity of the overlapping reactions throughout.

Sorry for that. Anyway fast forward, I am in my Senior year, and I have only recently come to understand the task that is getting into medical school. I know that I am no longer on a traditional timeline, but I am young (21). I'm not in a hurry, and I know what needs to be done. I need your help in creating a plan that I can follow from now until I have attained my goal.

So, here are my credentials for what I have perceived makes one a competitive applicant.

GPA: 3.65
-I was a straight a student until I decided taking the prerequisites together was good idea, not. I think it will stay around this number as this semester may contain some Bs and As in equal proportion.

MCAT: (/)
-I have not taken the MCAT. I know I should have studied last summer, but I didn't have straight what I would do until now. My plan is to study for and take it in the coming summer.

Volunteering: Here and there
-I did some volunteering at my local hospital for about one semester, until I realized it was a terrible experience that I was getting nothing out of. I plan to try a different hospital and get as much patient and doctor time as possible from the winter break until the end of the summer and next year (as my timeline fudge will give me a gap year).

Shadowing: I have seen about 8 surgeries and 1 days worth of molar teeth removal.
I plan to contact a physician at the next hospital I shadow and hopefully have a more regular relationship.

Research: I started doing computational chemistry research this semester and plan to do it until I graduate.

Forgive my wall of text, I'm just nervous. I want you to understand as best as possible where I'm coming from.

TL;DR

I found late in my education that I wanted to be a physician, I'm in my first semester of my senior year without having taken the MCAT. Sparse research, sparse volunteering, sparse shadowing.

I think during the gap year I want to do some kind of medical work along with the volunteering I will be doing. My advisor told me I should think about getting a masters before I apply to see if research is what I want to do.

Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anything about your application is sparse. Decent GPA, some ECs, research. Keep that stuff up during your gap year, do your best on the MCAT, and you'll be plenty competitive.

Not sure about the masters. You have plenty of opportunities to do research in medical school, including getting a masters. Many residencies also have masters programs as well. Do you even have any interest in getting a masters?

-edit- Also, don't plan to get anything out of volunteering. People always think they will be interviewing patients or running blood bags to coding patients or something. It's your job to make the lives of the medical staff 1% easier by dealing with a bunch of stupid ****. Keep your head down, be nice to everyone, get used to hospitals, tick off the box on your application. Keep in mind that your ability to take phone calls, remove garbage, and bring people blankets has zero correlation with actual medicine.

Thanks for responding VisionaryTics!!!

No, I don't really want to get a masters for research purposes. The only thing I find appealing is getting to learn more about the subjects, but I really just want to go to medical school. A master's wouldn't be for anything other than expanding knowledge, not a career.

I think I would rather work in the ER than studying for a masters.

--Reponse to your edit:

OMFG! That is totally how I felt! I was just handing out blankets and then pacing the corridors trying to find something to help with, but I only felt in the way of everyone at the end of the day. I honestly felt like I was just logging hours and nothing else... I guess that is a trial I will have to get through regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
look into being a scribe and try to shadow a variety of doctors to get a sense if medicine is for you and see if you like a specialty. you don't need to do a masters, your gpa is okay as long as you get a good mcat score. to be honest, research can be time consuming and takes a certain kind of personality.

Still I couldn't get around the pseudo-scientific ideas that were at the core of the Psych curriculum.
Argh :mad:
But then again I am still a youngling, so much to learn, so little time.

No offense to the field, just not my thing. It felt like a lot of speculation.

No offense to the field, just not my thing. It felt like a lot of speculation.
That is true, but i feel as though it is still a young science, developing and whatnot. I cannot stress how much it irritates me when some one claims it to be a pseudoscience. My passion for it is that great.

That is true, but i feel as though it is still a young science, developing and whatnot. I cannot stress how much it irritates me when some one claims it to be a pseudoscience. My passion for it is that great.

I should choose my words more carefully.

I can respect the field. In fact many real, tangible ideas have come of it.

For example, I read the other day about how when people change rooms, their tendency to forget what they were thinking in the previous room increases. This was a result of the brain creating a relationship with environment and thought patterns. This was proven using real data.

I dig this type of research, and there is plenty of it having real consequences in fields like marketing, education, and others.

Things like Freud's ideas about oral and anal fixation are what I'm recalling as "pseudo".

I mean no disrespect to Psychology in any way. I just love Chemistry and Biology moreso.

I should choose my words more carefully.

I can respect the field. In fact many real, tangible ideas have come of it.

For example, I read the other day about how when people change rooms, their tendency to forget what they were thinking in the previous room increases. This was a result of the brain creating a relationship with environment and thought patterns. This was proven using real data.

I dig this type of research, and there is plenty of it having real consequences in fields like marketing, education, and others.

Things like Freud's ideas about oral and anal fixation are what I'm recalling as "pseudo".

I mean no disrespect to Psychology in any way. I just love Chemistry and Biology moreso.
Freud is to psychology as Flamel is to chemistry...
btw, sorry for hijacking your thread.