need help OCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truedent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I really need your help please, I just graduated from dental school and I always cared alot about infection control and my classmates always thought I wa weird . my obsession has been worse recently, I always disinfect my phone, keys, wallet after finishing my clinics.

I have started shadowing a dentist in a really big dental office, I just observe and don't do any hands on. I go there wearing scrubs as the dentist requested, the problem is that I sit in the staff lounge with the other doctors and they are all wearing the scrubs that they wear treating their patients and they have their hand bags, laptops, books there. they sit on couches made of fabric with their dirty scrubs. and after finishing their work they change into street clothes and sometimes come back to the lounge to have a coffee or chat and they sit on the same sofas they wear sitting on like they don't care. is that normal?

after finishing I go back home with the same scrubs I was wearing there by my car and im worried that Im infecting my car and everywhere I go. and when I change my clothes at home and ride my car again I feel Im contaminating my other clothes. is that ok?

I really need help I don't want my OCD to get worse its destroying my life
Ali

Members don't see this ad.

hi all,

I really need your help please, I just graduated from dental school and I always cared alot about infection control and my classmates always thought I wa weird . my obsession has been worse recently, I always disinfect my phone, keys, wallet after finishing my clinics.

I have started shadowing a dentist in a really big dental office, I just observe and don't do any hands on. I go there wearing scrubs as the dentist requested, the problem is that I sit in the staff lounge with the other doctors and they are all wearing the scrubs that they wear treating their patients and they have their hand bags, laptops, books there. they sit on couches made of fabric with their dirty scrubs. and after finishing their work they change into street clothes and sometimes come back to the lounge to have a coffee or chat and they sit on the same sofas they wear sitting on like they don't care. is that normal?

after finishing I go back home with the same scrubs I was wearing there by my car and im worried that Im infecting my car and everywhere I go. and when I change my clothes at home and ride my car again I feel Im contaminating my other clothes. is that ok?

Ali
Contact your HMO, family, friends, counselor, spiritual counselor, and/or etc. regarding mental health problems; but not here.

Now my question for you is how on earth did you manage to get through ds with this particular kind of "OCD"?:confused::confused::confused:

Contact your HMO, family, friends, counselor, spiritual counselor, and/or etc. regarding mental health problems; but not here.

:thumbup: If that doesn't help, call Howie Mandel.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha I asked here because Im not generally a germphobe outside hospital environment, and I wasn't like that. But after reading so much of the OSHA guidelines and infection control books I became like this. I see so many dentists who doesnt care much about infection control and i wanted to ask here so you can guys tell me if my worries are not rational and I shouldn't care that much .
although you didn't answer me, you made me laugh so thanks for that

You've graduated dental school and you're just shadowing and not doing any hands on work?

Confused.

i still didn't receive my certificate and has not finished my paper work so I thought I should use the free time I have and shadow a dentist.

Im wondering if you guys are dentists or high school students, I needed help but Im only getting meaningless comments, there is no mature people out there?

Think of it as a daily dose of germs to challenge your immune system. There is plenty of evidence that "germophobes" have a higher incidence of health issues than those that are pretty care free about their contact with "germs".

Think of it as a daily dose of germs to challenge your immune system. There is plenty of evidence that "germophobes" have a higher incidence of health issues than those that are pretty care free about their contact with "germs".
thank you very much for your reply doc toothache,

that makes so much sense. but Im also worried that I would transfer MRSA or othe pathogens to my daughter who may sit at my car or who would use my laptop that I take to work and leave at the doctors rest area on the sofa which other dentists use while wearing their dirty scrubs.

thanks again I really appreciate your unswer

hi all,

Ali

Also suffer from OCD and I see what you mean... Kinda gross to chill with dirty scrubs and clean clothes
You should take off your scrubs before entering the car but I dont think there is a severe danger for your daughter because she doesnt sit at the same place you do with your scrubs
As of now Im really scared of contracting herpes from patients or people in general, I hide my face or never get close to people because I hate receiving their saliva when they talk, makes me look socially awkward but its disgusting me

that makes so much sense. but Im also worried that I would transfer MRSA or othe pathogens to my daughter who may sit at my car or who would use my laptop that I take to work and leave at the doctors rest area on the sofa which other dentists use while wearing their dirty scrubs.

Ya you need to talk to someone about this because you're going to lose your mind thinking this way every day for the next 30 years. I have a feeling your assistants are going to hate your cleaning standards. I also think your quote above is way overkill. Exposure to some pathogens does boost your immune system. I see so many kids that are allergic to everything under the sun because parents don't want them exposed to anything.

You do realize that disinfectant towelettes i.e. CaviWipes are effective at disinfecting not only MRSA, but also HBV/C, A2 virus, and yes, even HIV all in a matter of minutes, right? These towelettes can also be used on your laptop and many other professional/personal investments/possessions. As for dirty scrubs, invest in disposable gowns to wear in addition to your scrubs/professional attire. And if you prefer wearing a beard, or not; here it is: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14332357&postcount=20. All the aforementioned supplies can be purchased from the appropriate vendor(s) of your preferences in discounted-bulk quantities.
Also suffer from OCD and I see what you mean... Kinda gross to chill with dirty scrubs and clean clothes
You should take off your scrubs before entering the car but I dont think there is a severe danger for your daughter because she doesnt sit at the same place you do with your scrubs
As of now Im really scared of contracting herpes from patients or people in general, I hide my face or never get close to people because I hate receiving their saliva when they talk, makes me look socially awkward but its disgusting me
You're in for a treat, hopefully. See above.

As for the "OCD," if this legitimately diagnosed mental health problem is recurring and affecting your abilities to profess dentistry on a daily basis, then go seek for appropriate care, and more specifically appropriate health care, now that you possess an aka. 'stable/respectable' flow of income. The above poster is, in fact, correct. The reality here is that if this "OCD" is not appropriately managed you will more than likely, if not will, effectively shun yourself from competent dental hygienists, assistants, even the lesser competent of the former and latter, colleagues, and by extension your own patients/customers, and/or etc. Period. And depending on what your fundamental motive for pursing a career in dentistry is, you will put yourself at serious odds in this increasingly, competitive capitalistic market if this mental health problem you write of is not appropriately well under management.

Last edited:
You do realize that disinfectant towelettes i.e. CaviWipes are effective at disinfecting not only MRSA, but also HBV/C, A2 virus, and yes, even HIV all in a matter of minutes, right? These towelettes can also be used on your laptop and many other professional/personal investments/possessions. As for dirty scrubs, invest in disposable gowns to wear in addition to your scrubs/professional attire. And if you prefer wearing a beard, or not; here it is: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14332357&postcount=20. All the aforementioned supplies can be purchased from the appropriate vendor(s) of your preferences in discounted-bulk quantities.
You're in for a treat, hopefully. See above.

As for the "OCD," if this legitimately diagnosed mental health problem is recurring and affecting your abilities to profess dentistry on a daily basis, then go seek for appropriate care, and more specifically appropriate health care, now that you possess an aka. 'stable/respectable' flow of income. The above poster is, in fact, correct. The reality here is that if this "OCD" is not appropriately managed you will more than likely, if not will, effectively shun yourself from competent dental hygienists, assistants, even the lesser competent of the former and latter, colleagues, and by extension your own patients/customers, and/or etc. Period. And depending on what your fundamental motive for pursing a career in dentistry is, you will put yourself at serious odds in this increasingly, competitive capitalistic market if this mental health problem you write of is not appropriately well under management.
thank you very much for your reply,
yes I know caviwipes would kill MRSA but I think it would be really tiring to use them on my laptop , messenger bag...ect every time I take them to the dentists rest areas .

I always used gowns in dental school but now at the clinic that I shadow at nobody wears them and Im not doing any hands on. the only way that my scrubs are being infected is by sitting at the same sofas that the dentists use while wearing dirty scrubs

Ya you need to talk to someone about this because you're going to lose your mind thinking this way every day for the next 30 years. I have a feeling your assistants are going to hate your cleaning standards. I also think your quote above is way overkill. Exposure to some pathogens does boost your immune system. I see so many kids that are allergic to everything under the sun because parents don't want them exposed to anything.
I totally agree with you thats why I wanted to see how other dentists feel about infection control.
Some dentists here wear their scrubs without gowns while treating patients and then act as if their clothes are not infected at all, they put their laptops on their lap at the rest area, they go out of the hospital with the same scrubs, the pediatric dentist hug kids after their procedure, some dentists even go to the mall or restaurants wearing same scrubs.
I want to know what is normal and what is not, I know that we might catch infections even if we are super careful and that is normal and good for our immune system.
Thanks a lot for your advice and replies guys

I know plenty of people who have ocd during dental school and things only get worse after clinic. One of my closest friends, poor guy, HAS to have the same routine and moreover gets freaked out about the idea that everything is going to be dirty. The best way to deal with it is the way most other people do and probably just get a therapist or contact whoever you have for your behavioral health. A social worker or maybe a psychiatrist can refer the person to someone who helps with cognitive behavioral therapy.

Or you can always tell yourself YOLO bro, just try to keep clean and don't freak out since hey you're still up and about aren't ya? I'm sure its not easy nor is it fun but the best way to deal with any problem is life is heads on! Yup, admit there's and issue, have the courage and faith that you can work hard to be better, and tell yourself you're better than that. Good luck!

You have an interesting way of writing: "profess dentistry," "aka. 'stable/respectable' flow of income," "you will more than likely" with emphasis on the "will" but a retracting by saying "more than likely," but ending the sentence with a very definitive "Period." And finally I thought this was interesting: "if this mental health problem you write of is not appropriately well under management." What does this mean?

To the OP, regarding MRSA to your daughter.

I read somewhere that 1% of people in the USA are carriers of MRSA. Think of all the people you or your daughter will touch throughout your lives. Don't sweat it.

Furthermore, even if you were to change your clothes before gong home... would that rid you of all your germs you've picked up at the office? Unfortunately not. You are fighting an uphill battle.