OCD and Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureddsny

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a second year dental student and have been battling with ocd for about 8 years now and am finally getting help. I aced my first year, only getting 2 Bs out of around 20 classes. Now that I am moving into second year and am going to be seeing more patients, I am getting a bit nervous. My OCD has gave me intrusive thoughts, brain fog and anxiety for quite some time now. I am about to start seeing a professional to get help to battle through my OCD, but am worried that it may interfere with my ability to be a dentist. When I was a dental assistant, my OCD prevented me from working at full capacity because I was always nervous, hesitant and questioned everything (thus the nature of the disorder). Now that I am seeking help and have been more cognitively aware of the issue, I have gotten better, but not 100% yet. Before the onset of my OCD, I was amazing with people, never got anxious. My question is, will I be able to still conquer dental school and become a successful dentist, or is this OCD too much for this field?

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be fine. Sounds like you’re handling it well. Let this be some reassurance and then go out and get it! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I just got diagnosed earlier this year! I’ve realized I’ve always had OCD, but the pandemic really triggered it and I was really struggling. I managed to still pass all my third year exams and am now starting my fourth year. It’s almost easier for me now that I know I’m primary provider on all appointments versus before when I never knew what I’d be thrown into. It’s definitely still hard but I take Zoloft now and it’s really helped me with my OCD and the intrusive thoughts. I think my OCD has helped me be a better provider because I care more (worry more but I don’t tell the pt) 🙂 You got this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am a second year dental student and have been battling with ocd for about 8 years now and am finally getting help. I aced my first year, only getting 2 Bs out of around 20 classes. Now that I am moving into second year and am going to be seeing more patients, I am getting a bit nervous. My OCD has gave me intrusive thoughts, brain fog and anxiety for quite some time now. I am about to start seeing a professional to get help to battle through my OCD, but am worried that it may interfere with my ability to be a dentist. When I was a dental assistant, my OCD prevented me from working at full capacity because I was always nervous, hesitant and questioned everything (thus the nature of the disorder). Now that I am seeking help and have been more cognitively aware of the issue, I have gotten better, but not 100% yet. Before the onset of my OCD, I was amazing with people, never got anxious. My question is, will I be able to still conquer dental school and become a successful dentist, or is this OCD too much for this field?

I can't claim to know what OCD is, but if it blocks you mentally from moving on to the next step, it can be a huge problem for your profitability. Many of my colleagues are unproductives since they cannot get past moving on to the next step (without an inordinate amount of time) to complete their procedure.

Ive always wondered if I have OCD, and what you described sounds so much like me. I just started a new job as an assistant for an OMFS group practice, and the pandemic definitely made things worse! I feel you on the nervous and hesitant part, but now I feel more motivated to seek out help

I am of the opinion that ALL dentists have OCD to some degree!

Why else would we be so excited about things like crown margins, endo apical seals, secondary anatomy of occlusion, shade selection on posterior teeth, etc. etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Several years ago I had a chief resident with diagnosed OCD. She received professional help and did fine. You will too. Hang in there.

I really appreciate all of you, I’m gonna keep fighting, thank you