Need Help on this Pharmacy Calculations (P1)

Started by dan99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dan99

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most of the materials that I'm learning are pretty straight forward, however I think I'm overlooking this problem and I cannot seem to solve it. Can someone help me? The answer is 4.62 mL of Boric Acid, but I'm not sure how to get that answer. The topic is on isotonicity.

6395262841_81a8ffb079.jpg
 
I don't have the conversions, but I would take 15 mL x 0.5% oxymethazoline hydrochloride = volume of oxymethazoline hydrochloride. Then convert it to NaCl equivalent. Then take 15mL x 0.9% NaCl to get total NaCl equivalent for an isotonic solution. Take the number just calculated - volume NaCl equiv of oxymethazoline hydrochloride. Then convert this difference to boric acid using another conversion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EASY! lol

0.5%*15=0.075g of oxy
0.075*0.2=0.015 NaCl represented by oxy
(15*0.009)-0.015=0.12g
0.12/0.52=0.23g of boric acid

Now I think this is where you got stuck...

you have 5% of boric acid which is 5g/100ml...just cross multiply 5g/100ml=0.23g/Xml...X=4.62ml

you are welcome
 
EASY! lol

0.5%*15=0.075g of oxy
0.075*0.2=0.015 NaCl represented by oxy
(15*0.009)-0.015=0.12g
0.12/0.52=0.23g of boric acid

Now I think this is where you got stuck...

you have 5% of boric acid which is 5g/100ml...just cross multiply 5g/100ml=0.23g/Xml...X=4.62ml

you are welcome

I hate when any calculation problems regarding Na equivalents.😡
 
Most of the materials that I'm learning are pretty straight forward, however I think I'm overlooking this problem and I cannot seem to solve it. Can someone help me? The answer is 4.62 mL of Boric Acid, but I'm not sure how to get that answer. The topic is on isotonicity.

6395262841_81a8ffb079.jpg


Just a reminder, please post your calculations first so members can tell you what you're doing wrong. We don't want to encourage members to do your work for you. So again, post your approach to the problem and our members can tell you what you did wrong and how to obtain the correct answer.
 
How are you helping someone by doing their work for them? So they can not know how to do it later?

Help comes in different forms. Sure, my way might not be optimal, but at least I tried. Where was your attempt?
 
Most of the materials that I'm learning are pretty straight forward, however I think I'm overlooking this problem and I cannot seem to solve it. Can someone help me? The answer is 4.62 mL of Boric Acid, but I'm not sure how to get that answer. The topic is on isotonicity.

6395262841_81a8ffb079.jpg

Here's a calculation for you:

Pharmacy Profession (well-balanced) + Useless P1s, P2s, P3s, and P4s = ?
 
It's not MY homework assignment, why should I do all the work? I'm not going to do a single thing for someone who comes with the question and the answer but nothing in between.

So in other words, you won't help other people with their problems if they don't know where to begin. Hmm, that seems like a problem if you're faced with patients who come to you with a problem and don't know where to start. I would, at least, prompt them with questions to see where they're at. Like I said, my original method wasn't the best, but I did something, I'm not going to stand around and leave anyone hanging who needs help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So in other words, you won't help other people with their problems if they don't know where to begin. Hmm, that seems like a problem if you're faced with patients who come to you with a problem and don't know where to start. I would, at least, prompt them with questions to see where they're at. Like I said, my original method wasn't the best, but I did something, I'm not going to stand around and leave anyone hanging who needs help.

You're dense. There is absolutely no parallel between a patient who is coming in for advice and a pharmacy student trying to find someone to do their homework for them. Don't worry, my patients are well taken care of. Nice try though.
 
What's a crux! I got A in my pharmaceutical calculation course, but sometimes I pondered on the validity of their BM calculation and other things. But your problem is elementary, at best! You will need the sodium chloride equivalent; since it asked for isotonic or neutrality of 0.9? Like those guys said above. It's been a while for me since I left school and not involved in the profession.

Still using the good old Ansel book? I really liked some of the math tricks in there.
 
You're dense. There is absolutely no parallel between a patient who is coming in for advice and a pharmacy student trying to find someone to do their homework for them. Don't worry, my patients are well taken care of. Nice try though.

Just keep trolling :]
 
So in other words, you won't help other people with their problems if they don't know where to begin. Hmm, that seems like a problem if you're faced with patients who come to you with a problem and don't know where to start. I would, at least, prompt them with questions to see where they're at. Like I said, my original method wasn't the best, but I did something, I'm not going to stand around and leave anyone hanging who needs help.

Doing someone's homework is analogous to showing up at a patient's house every day, taking his pill out of his bottle, putting it in his mouth, and than squirting a little water in so he can easily swallow it (i.e. doing everything for the person). It is not similar to giving medical advice to someone who comes asking for it.

The OP is responsible for doing something. He should know where to start since he should have a book, course notes, classmates as references. This is why the other poster is unhappy with people straight up asking for homework help without doing anything. I find it hard to believe that in the class he did not see a similar example that couldn't be found with a little bit of effort. So by doing "something"(which was everything) you did this person (and his future patients) a disfavor.
 
Doing someone's homework is analogous to showing up at a patient's house every day, taking his pill out of his bottle, putting it in his mouth, and than squirting a little water in so he can easily swallow it (i.e. doing everything for the person). It is not similar to giving medical advice to someone who comes asking for it.

The OP is responsible for doing something. He should know where to start since he should have a book, course notes, classmates as references. This is why the other poster is unhappy with people straight up asking for homework help without doing anything. I find it hard to believe that in the class he did not see a similar example that couldn't be found with a little bit of effort. So by doing "something"(which was everything) you did this person (and his future patients) a disfavor.

That and the rules for asking homework questions clearly state that you must show all of the steps you've taken and where you think you're going wrong. The OP said they couldn't get it and had the question and the answer from the back of the book.
 
Last time I checked, this wasn't a homework help forum.

And this was the most elementary of questions as well. If you cannot answer that problem, I fear what would happen to a future patient if you miscalculate the osmolarity of an IV to give to a patient...