Need help on Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gene_pool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of every passage I have this problem where I can't stop thinking about "the right way" to read a passage. During some passages all I think of is "don't re-read sentences" or "listen to the tone" when reading the first paragraph, before I can get into flow with the author...

How can I prevent this!?

Some people say take 5-10 sec break between passages, but that's when I start to think so much about technique!

I notice that when I get into a good rhythm, I can nail 2-4 passages and questions, but I'm not able to get there at will. I also notice that a really tough question (or passage) can mess up this rhythm as well...

So I have some questions:

1. What do you guys do in between Physics and Verbal to prepare to read so much?

2. What helps you stay concentrated throughout the whole thing?

3. How do you recover after a tough passage?

4. What do you do during that 5-10 sec pause between passages that some suggest? Or do you suggest taking it at all?

5. How did you stop freaking out about time? (Or how do you think about time on this section in general?)

6. Do you guys sub-vocalize when you read?

7. Do you guys treat Humanities, Natural Science, and Social Science passages differently?

Please feel free to answer any of these questions that you have time to answer.. Got my Cat in 10 days, any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: