Need help please (DAT prep)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P0W3RL1FT3R

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,
I'll be a junior in the fall and anticipated taking the DAT at the end of summer of 2016. But, it doesn't seem like I'll be able to take both organic chemistries by then. I'll be a transfer student, so we get last pick for classes. Seeing as how the organics are filled, I'll be on the waiting list, which isn't too promising.

If I am unable to take organic I in the fall, how should I approach this spring/fall 2016 semester and DAT prep? I've already taken bio I/II, G chem I/II, English I/II & calc based physics I.

I was thinking..

Fall 2016:
Algebra based physics I
Micro
Cell biology
Elective

Spring 2016:
Organics I
Biochem
Algebra based physics II
Elective

Summer 2016:
DAT studies

Fall 2017:
Organics II
Genetics
Basic Math class
Elective
(Study for DAT)

Winter 2017:
Study for DAT, take DAT before spring 2017

Or just wait until summer of 2017 after my senior year to have a clear study schedule, take the DAT in August and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance, I'm very confused & was not expecting this dilemma. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Your last pick situation can be frustrating but chances are you'll get in the class. Keep watching the class you want daily and there's bound to be a slot open. You can also speak with any professor running the course, explain your situation, and often get permitted to register. Don't rule any of that out without first trying.

Otherwise, you can certainly learn what you need to know on your own if you're up for doing some work. Khan Academy, Chad's videos, and other resources will take you a long way, particularly if you get a general chemistry book to read on your own. You usually end up teaching yourself during the semester anyway.

If you're not in a rush, play it cool and try and slide in a class. Otherwise you'll just have to work your options as they come.

Thanks for the reply,
I considered attempting to learn organic chemistry II myself, but I would feel more confident having taken it in a classroom first. I'd be extremely nervous going into the test without organics II under my belt.
I'll definitely try squeaking my way into the class. Our orientation, where we sign up for classes, is July 8th. The class has been filled for a month now, so I'd most likely be pretty far into the wait list.
If I decide to take the DAT after senior year & get my application in by August- I'd be concerned with being such a late applicant. Maybe I'd have to take a gap year..
Ahhh this sucks :mad:
Thanks again for the reply!

I know at my university after the first day or so people start skipping so there start being empty seats. If you can't officially get enrolled in the class but also don't want to have to teach yourself, perhaps you can sit in on lectures and learn that way.