Need help RE LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalalala

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question of LORs. I know the standard is usually 2 science, 1 non-science, and then other supplement letters (work, research etc). For my non-science one-- I am an Econ major, but I don't know how to approach any of my professors about writing a LOR for med school, specifically. But I have a humanities/ English professor that could write me a good LOR since it was a seminar and she knows about my aptitude and interest in healthcare.

So my question is, do you think I need a Econ LOR or can I use just a regular non-science rec, even though it's not my major.

thanks! good luck to everyone who is applying right now

Members don't see this ad.

hey i am or was a Finance major and i got two letters from Finance profs since it was my major. Often schools will let you send in like 5 letters and my best two were actually from the fin people cause they knew me well. I heard and i would say defintly atleast get one from someone in your major, i imean it looks bad if nobody in your whole area of study could vouch.. and im sure they write plenty of LOR for law and other grad programs, same type of deal, just speaks of your character etc. Just get as many letters as you can and then pick the best ones.. my premed advisor would read over them and rank which ones were best..

i would definetly get an LOR from my major, especially b/c you're a non-science person. i think people are expected to have a letter from their major department (some schools require it-- can't think of a list right now). not having anyone from your major might raise some eyebrows.

Ideally, you should have a prof from your major to be your non-sci recommender. But in your case, IF you think this English prof is going to give you a glowing recommendation, as opposed to an Econ prof whom you think is going to give you a "so-so" recommendation, I would pick the English prof if I were you. You want the letters to reflect the best of you. You don't want the letters to sound like you're one of their students that they don't really know, but just agreed to send letter for. You only have a few items to show med schools how great you are, so you really need to maximize the impact of those letters!

Usually schools need ONLY one non-sci letter in addition to the two sci letters and, in some cases, the additional LORs (from work etc.) I would still ask one or two Econ prof's recommendation just in case, but will end up using the English prof LOR for that ONE non-sci if I knew that the prof would speak more favorably of me. Better yet, if you can include LOR(s) from your work experience in your field as the additional LOR.

Am I making any sense?