Need Help! School Decision: DU, GWU, TU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaAnNg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into several other schools of public health. I am trying to decide where I should go. I live in Harrisburg, PA, but I am willing to move if the program is reputable. To me, the strength of the program along with cost is important.

The George Washington School of Public Health and Health Services (MPH)
(No scholarship/grant)
-Solid program, but EXPENSIVE tuition
-Near home

Drexel University School of Public Health (MPH)
($12,000 renewable award)
-Somewhat average program, but lower tuition
-Cheap living costs
-Near home

Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (MPSH)
($5,000 onetime award)
-Strong program, but EXPENSIVE tuition
-Far from home

Do you have any advice? Which school do you prefer? I have to make a decision in less than a week, so if you have any experience or advice, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

To me, GW and Tulane aren't worth the "solid/strong" reputation for the amount of money and travel you'd save by sticking in at Drexel.

A question you should also ask yourself is what academic program you're entering and then look at it department by department at each school. This will be far more useful than just looking at the entire school.

I was accepted into several other schools of public health. I am trying to decide where I should go. I live in Harrisburg, PA, but I am willing to move if the program is reputable. To me, the strength of the program along with cost is important.

The George Washington School of Public Health and Health Services (MPH)
(No scholarship/grant)
-Solid program, but EXPENSIVE tuition
-Near home

Drexel University School of Public Health (MPH)
($12,000 renewable award)
-Somewhat average program, but lower tuition
-Cheap living costs
-Near home

Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (MPSH)
($5,000 onetime award)
-Strong program, but EXPENSIVE tuition
-Far from home

Do you have any advice? Which school do you prefer? I have to make a decision in less than a week, so if you have any experience or advice, please let me know.

Which Department are you going to study in? I, personally, dislike New Orleans strongly, so Tulane would be ruled out. GWU has a bit of a better rep than Drexel, but it really depends what you want to study and what your goals are. For the quantitative based fields (Epi and Biostats), it may not matter as much since those are the hotter fields and connections may not be AS important. For some of the 'softer' fields (Global Health, etc) GWU would have the edge thanks to its location and faculty (who will know more people than the faculty at Drexel).

Members don't see this ad :)
New Orleans may be a rough place to live, I received my MD and MPH from LSU there, it has changed markedly since Katrina, but is no less dangerous. Tulane would be a good choice, but check to see how severely their faculty have been shaken up since Katrina? Did they recover at all? The plus about Tulane is that they have a Doctorate in Tropical Medicine which may provide you with a unique option to pursue after your MPH. I knew a guy down there named James Diaz who was an MD, but got an MPH and Ph.D. in Tropical Medicine down there, he was at LSU last I knew, can probably ask him more details and he will be more up to date on that school's situation than most. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the reply. It would be great if you could speak with your friend about the Department of Tropical Medicine because that is the same department I would be in at Tulane. I have never been to Louisiana. Did you like your time there?