Need help understanding degrees of unsaturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RidingMyBike

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2lau1wo.png


When I did this problem I counted carbons and hydrogens etc. and used this variant of the formula
#C + #N/2 + 1 - #H/2 - #X/2

The answer was 13, and it explained I can count 3 rings + 10 double bonds = 13 degrees of unsaturation. I will be using this method on a question like this, but somehow I can't get the answer 13 when I try using the formula? I keep getting 12. What went wrong . . .

20 carbons, 17 hydrogens, 1 halogen right?

20 + 1 - 17/2 - 1/2
20 + 1 - 18/2
20 + 1 - 9
20 - 8
= 12 ??
 
2lau1wo.png


When I did this problem I counted carbons and hydrogens etc. and used this variant of the formula
#C + #N/2 + 1 - #H/2 - #X/2

The answer was 13, and it explained I can count 3 rings + 10 double bonds = 13 degrees of unsaturation. I will be using this method on a question like this, but somehow I can't get the answer 13 when I try using the formula? I keep getting 12. What went wrong . . .

20 carbons, 17 hydrogens, 1 halogen right?

20 + 1 - 17/2 - 1/2
20 + 1 - 18/2
20 + 1 - 9
20 - 8
= 12 ??
You do not need to plug in the formula.
Just remember that;
Double bond is 1 degree of unsaturation
Ring is 1 degree of unsaturation
Triple bond is 2 degrees of unsaturation

Just count, you will get the correct number.

Hope this helps