• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

miracle

15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2002
Status (Visible)
For anyone who could help me make a decision. I currently just obtained my PH.D in chemistry. I was offered a faculty position at St. James medical school (undergrad professor), not that a searched but they emailed me (I post my resume on the web). Also, I was offered numerous of teaching faculty positions at many well known universities here in America and many research labatories. I never thougt about going to Saint James Medical school to teach but then I made a deal that I would teach only if I was paid and could attend their for free. Surprisely, I was offered to teach with pay and a full scholorship to attend their medical school. I need opinions!!! Do you think this is a good offered? Would you go? Saint James is a fairly new school. I do not know the reputation of this school. I have searched but have not found too much info. Everything is about Ross and Saba.

Thanks

Stroganoff

15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Wow, so you'd be teaching your classmates too? That's too weird! Think of the corruption, the bribery, the fun...

It sounds like a great deal, IF you can see yourself at St. James. It's all about YOU here, not us.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
I don't think it would be wise to spend time at any caribbean school let alone St. James. You may not get to come back to the US.

About the Ads

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
wow, congats on your amazing offer!!!!!!! What a great deal.

First of all, you have to ask yourself.....is this something that I really want to do? Do you want to study medicine and become a medical doctor??? Your post made it sound like you applied to many teaching positions not really thinking about medical school.

So, If you do take this offer, you should also realize that you are going to be EXTREMELY busy......especially if you plan on lecturing (preparing the lectures, giving them, tests, office hours, crazy undergrads, etc). It'll be a tough road, but if you think thats what you want to do, then more power to you.....the price is right.

As for the school, I really haven't heard all too much about it, so maybe others can fill you in. This is an extremely important decision, so I would think about this for a while, and definately weigh the pros and cons as best you can. To echo a previous poster, this really is all about you.:horns:

edik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Since you have a PhD, I assume you would eventually be interested in academic medicine. I am pretty sure having an offshore MD will definitely hurt your chances for that. Do a research, look at some of the schools' faculties online.
However if your dream is to become a private practitioner in a not-so-competitive specialty - go for it.
Forgot to mention, I don't know if you know this, but getting into an American med school is very hard. Although with a PhD it should be no big deal.

mdforme

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status (Visible)
I disagree strongly with Slickness. LOTS of people who went to med school off shore get US residencies. Just as long as you can do well on your boards. If I had the opportunity, I would jump at it! Just make sure to really study up for the boards.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by mdforme
I disagree strongly with Slickness. LOTS of people who went to med school off shore get US residencies. Just as long as you can do well on your boards. If I had the opportunity, I would jump at it! Just make sure to really study up for the boards.
Yea but St. James? Maybe Ross, SGU, and AUC. I would think St. James does not compare in terms of graduates getting into US residencies. Have they even graduated a class yet?

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
On their website, it says it is in their 3rd year of existence. Thus they haven't graduated their first class yet. I believe it would be very hard to get a US residency from there.

rimon7381

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
If u get a similar offer from SGU, AUC, Ross or Saba then it would be an awesome deal. Since these are the top 4 med schools in the caribbean. And wouldn't have to worry much about getting residencies/practicing in the US.

But it is less likely these schools will offer something like St. James's offer.

But u can always give it a shot.

pjr28

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
Having a PhD already, you have a hugr edge on the medical school applicant pool. I would apply to US schools, since you would probably get into a great school. Good luck!

samenewme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2002
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
Do I understand that they offered you the job via e-mail, instead of doing an extensive search-and-screen to hire their faculty? If I'm understanding this correctly, I'd investigate VERY thoroughly before going to school there.

Bones2008

waiting for retirement
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
"Rick James" = Badass Mothaf*cka.

Go to his school, b!tch.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by miracle
For anyone who could help me make a decision. I currently just obtained my PH.D in chemistry. I was offered a faculty position at St. James medical school (undergrad professor), not that a searched but they emailed me (I post my resume on the web). Also, I was offered numerous of teaching faculty positions at many well known university here in America and many research labatories. I never thougt about going to Saint James Medical school to teach but then I made a deal that I would teach only if I was paid and could attend their for free. Surprisely, I was offered to teach with pay and a full scholorship to attend their medical school. I need opinions!!! Do you think this is a good offered? Would you go? Saint James is a fairly new school. I do not know the reputation of this school. I have search but have not found too much info. Everything is about Ross and Saba.

Thanks

How would you have time to teach and be a full-time medical student? As far as I understand medical school isn't a walk-in-the-park. It's more than a full-time job in itself. I don't think it would be wise to do this at any school.

miracle

15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2002
Status (Visible)
Thanks for all the replies. I post this at the carribean forum and did not get this much of a response. I am fairly new on this website and very glad to have so many responses so fast. Thanks so much you guys.

To Samenewme,
"Do I understand that they offered you the job via e-mail"

Correct, but I will have go on an interview with St. James's coordinator to set an interview in the United State in March to make an official agreement.

I have searched extensively about this school by calling the Board of Texas and numerous states that I might want to practice in. They do accept Saint James. I also spoke many board examiners to see what they know of Carribean schools and the reputation. They have lots to say about Ross and Saba but nothing about St. James. They said Ross and Saba have many problems going into the Uniited State for residencies but they have improved over the years. As for St. James medical school, nobody whom I have talked to know a clue about.

Felipe:
"Your post made it sound like you applied to many teaching positions not really thinking about medical school."

Correct, I never thought about medical school, because of the financial barrier that I must support my family. I did not want to go into over $100,000 debt when I get out. I thought about going into an M.D, Ph.D program but this will take another 7 years at least. I have a friend who went this route and this is his 8 years of medical school and still doing researched. When I did thought about pursuing this route, I researched with him and I decided that it will take too long. Most people at the medical school that I spoke with said that I will be the first one to pursue an M.D., PH.D with a Ph.D already. "Is it worth it?"

i am not worried with the question, " if I will get into a medical school?" I know that if i thought about this route I will get in. Either way i will spend at least two to three years in Post Doc.
I never expected someone to email asking for this kind of offer.

Felipe5:
"So, If you do take this offer, you should also realize that you are going to be EXTREMELY busy......especially if you plan on lecturing (preparing the lectures, giving them, tests, office hours, crazy undergrads, etc)."

I am use to this kind of schedule. I taught numerous of classes when I researched more than professors. I have presentation, office hours, researched...etc. What I am afraid is that I'm in another country, not America. They could make this is the best offer and lie about everything. I do not want to waste 4 years of my life.

The best thing is no debt.

:) :)

smuwillobrien

15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't think anyone can really tell you what to do. It's all about you. You've got to take into consideration your true objectives if life, and as well you've got to take into consideration things that none of us can judge (preference, relationships, family, ...). Good luck with whatever decision you make, and have faith in that decision. I'm sure you'll do good at whatever you choose. ;)

ddmo

BMF
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
Based on your English, it sounds like you may be from another country. If that was the case, and you wanted to practice or do research there as opposed to the U.S., I don't think going to St. James would be that bad. But, it would limit your options if you wanted to do academic medicine in the states, regardless of what others say. But, not so much if you are only interested in primary care.

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
"The best thing is no debt"

AMEN buddy,

best of luck to you, and let us all know what you decide!!!!!! Follow your heart, so long as your brain approves :horns:

TiggidyTooth

15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2002
hot town usa
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
First...do you want to be a doctor? If yes stay in the U.S. Island schools are a last resort. And this particular island school has "0" credibility. Many medical schools spring up only to vanish with your $$ and hard work down the tubes. If you want to teach than teach, if you want to learn medicince than do that, but I would be very uncomfortable being a student going to a medical school where your profs are also your students. Methinks this kind of thing does not happen in the U.S. unless under very special circumstances.

Tooth

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.