Need help with a MD school list with my current stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkn23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad
Cum: 2.98
Science: 2.88

Grad(SMP at Rutgers NJMS)
GPA: 3.645

MCAT: 502

URM(Born in Nigeria, raised in NJ)

ECs
-Research, 2 projects, listed as co-author and consortium member
-Clinical volunteering - currently doing hospice, volunteered in a hospital
-non clinical volunteering - was on eboard for the local ronald mcdonald house club at my college
-shadowing - shadowed a DO for some years on and off, no other specialty.
-Worked as a scribe for some months, nursing unit secretary at a hospital and currently a pharmacy manager at my community independent pharmacy for some years now
- also did some volunteer work at my village in nigeria, didn't have a health clinic until my family set up one for the community

I already applied to a lot of DOs (2 IIs and 1 A so far) and its promising, but I wanna see my chances are in MDs other than at my SMP.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t think you are competitive at MD schools unless you are African American—even then, your stats are very low.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP states they volunteered at a family clinic in Nigeria so I think African American. Probably should include your state of residence to get more help. I definitely think there are MDs worth applying to but it's kind of late. You would have to turn them around pretty quickly.

OP states they volunteered at a family clinic in Nigeria so I think African American. Probably should include your state of residence to get more help. I definitely think there are MDs worth applying to but it's kind of late. You would have to turn them around pretty quickly.
Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ? Where is your state of residence ?
Yes I am Nigerian, born there, raised in NJ.
I don’t think you are competitive at MD schools unless you are African American—even then, your stats are very low.
Yes I am aware...will MDs not look at my work with an SMP? I was hoping that would prove my potential to handle rigorous science courses.

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
If you are going to apply you need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries no later than October.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
If you are going to apply you need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries no later than October.
I actually applied to those HBCU already but I'll definitely apply to the others!! Thank you so much for the advice!