Need help with a study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chikadee29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was scheduled to take my DAT on August 25th but I rescheduled it to January 18th because I wasn't ready, especially in Math. I would really appreciate it if someone can recommend me a plan to study during school.

Background:

I graduated in 2011 and I'm doing a post-bacc right now to raise my GPA.

Right now I'm only take 6 credits ( Vaccines & Medical Micro) and I'm working 25-30 hours.
I have classes Monday - Wednesday, and then I have work Thursday-Sunday... so no day "fully" off :\ I wish I could quit work but I need the money to pay for my classes haha.

This is what I have done so far in my studying:

I took Kaplan's class in June but that was a bad idea because I was working full time and I don't feel I was able to devote a lot of time to the class/studying.

In July I started studying with the 8 week DAT plan that is posted here, and it did help but then towards the end I felt like I was studying just to cross things off my "check list." It is a nice plan, but I guess I couldn't get it to work for me.

Bio:
I have read AP Cliffs once, made Anki flashcards that I have been going over every day since end of July.

My Kaplan subscription expired before I was able to take full advantage of it :( but I took 3 Bio subject tests and scored 17 on each of them.

Gen Chem:

I watched Chad's videos and he helped a LOT, but I haven't looked at my notes since early August so I am forgetting a lot of stuff. I did his quizzes too but it has been a while.

Ochem:

Watched Chad's videos, but this was towards the ends where I felt like I was doing a "checklist" so I didn't really benefit that much because I just wanted to get it done.

PAT:

I bought CDP... took 1 full length practice and scored a 17. I haven't practiced this since August.

Math:

This is the section I am most worried about because I haven't had a math class since 11th grade. From 12th grade to college I've always taken Stats related classes so I'm very rusty on Algebra, Geometry etc.

Materials I have right now:
1. Math Destroyer
2. DAT Destroyer
3. Chad's subscription to Math, GC, and OC.
4. AP Cliffs
5. CDP

Members don't see this ad.

I had to meet with a tutor for math. I was in a similar situation as you. Even then I got a 17 in math but I'm happy for it.

Are you applying next cycle?

Sounds like you have all you need to do well. My advice is to do Chad's again until you really get it and depending on what you think your weaknesses are. Do DAT destroyer gen chem and orgo road maps. Take Chad's bio quizzes, I thought they were helpful.

Can you cut back at work after the semester into January until you do the exam?

Good luck!

You should be fine with DAT Destroyer. I would recommend doing 3 or 4 tests untied to get used to doing the problems without pressure. Then what I would do is go back and check the answers and then redo the wrong answers untied again without looking at the solutions (I continued to redo wrong answers untimed even when I started timing the tests to ensure I didn't make the same mistakes). Then take the next 3 or 4 tests timed and complete at a comfortable pace to minimize errors and then the last few remaining tests you should start consciously training yourself to increase your speed and maintaining efficiency. I got around 18 or 19 on my first destroyer and then did what I described and got a 20, not what I was expecting to get, but it's 95 percentile.

What I found best was to study hard on whatever I was studying and then use chads on rough days or if I took a few tests and was burnt out and just watched it like tv. Makes you productive when you don't feel like being productive. Same with using CDP, it was more
Iike doing puzzles and games than thinking about math and science.

Continue to use CDP for PAT, the best study material for the PAT in my opinion and it is pretty similar to my DAT. If you need some pointers for DAT, I may make a video using CDP if I get some free time and post on YouTube. I got a 23 and definitely attribute it to CDP. If you get good at the PAT you can put it away for awhile and then take like 4-6 10 days before the test and you should pick it up easily I figure you get it or you don't and the last few tests will knock off the rust.

Food for thought:

In my opinion, post Bac is kind of a waste. You have to spend money out of pocket to raise your gpa with diminishing returns. I think a master can look good and there are a few programs that offer assistantships, so you don't pay. If you take post Bac, make sure you're taking relevant, challenging courses (i.e. histology) and understand it will have less of an impact the higher your gpa: @ 120 hrs, 4 a's will bump you up from 2.5 to 2.6364, 3.0000 to 3.0910 and 3.5 to 3.5455.

I understand you need to work in order to pay for school, your livelihood, but prudently consider the option of a loan. If you can't prepare well for the exam receive 2 mediocre scores, you will have wasted more time and money. You want to give it your best shot when applying to dental school, I'm sure you've heard it's better to do one thing great than 2 things mediocre. I'm not saying its the right option, but just an option to consider if you're struggling. I was in the same position 2 years ago when I took my MCAT, which ended working out since it made me refocus realize dentistry was what I wanted to do, but I still wasted my time and money.