Need help with Curriculum Vitae

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshua_msu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I currently am a third year med student. I had asked one of my clinical preceptors for a LOR, but in order to do one, he wants to see my CV so he can make the letter even more personal. I think this is a great idea, only there is one problem, I currently dont have a CV.

So I was looking at various sites pertaining to the topic. Many of them are around, and they each have tips for writing a stellar CV and even templates to help start you out. I just couldnt seem to find any help/pointers on wrting one for medical students/interns/residents.

It is a good idea to get started on my CV anyways, since fourth year and residency selection time is nearing. Im sure many of you all have an idea on how to write a good one, that is why I am here.

Does anyone have a good website that they know of or various templates they may have to help get me started? I would really appreciate that. Thanks.

Josh

Members don't see this ad.

Try looking in fist aid for the match and resumes and personal statements for health professionals. You can search for them on amazon to get the authors and everything.

Another easy method is to get in touch with students ahead of you and get copies of theirs and just amend them to your needs. Bottom line there is not right or wrong way and everyone will have varying opinions.

There are several websites with guidelines for fourth year med student CV's. I found them via Google. Try searching for "medical residency CV sample" or something similar. I think there are also a couple of SDN threads on this topic - you might want to search for them.

As mentioned by another poster, you will find that there are a lot of different opinions out there, so just pick a sample that looks well-organized and go with it. Consider asking your letter-writer for a few suggestions about how to improve the CV (if you have a mentor of some kind with whom you are more comfortable you could instead ask him or her). I did this with several faculty members, and they gave me very helpful suggestions.

I second First Aid for the Match. It has examples of multiple styles of CV. It's also helpful to have around when you start writing your personal statement and working on applications. You can probably get a used copy off amazon for cheap.

When you give your packet of stuff to your letter writer, you should try and be considerate by making the process as easy as possible for them. I gave each of mine a packet with my CV, a draft of my personal statement, a filled-out and signed copy of the ERAS LOR coversheet (This form is required for all LORs and contains instructions for the letter writer. It can be downloaded here). And I topped it off with a cover letter thanking them for writing the letter, a short statement about what specialty and what programs I was applying to, and that they could contact me with questions, blah blah. Several of them thanked me for it.

At this point in third year, your preceptors probably don't expect you to have your personal statement, so don't worry about that now, but your 4th year preceptors will want to read it.

good luck :)

I've attached a PDF file of a CV template that our dean distributed to us. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• CVtemplate.pdf
    5.1 KB · Views: 366