Need Help with Final School List Please!! 4.0 GPA 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello678

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
4.0/34, have the typical ECs plus some unique ones. The exception might be research as I am at a little over a year, but will continue for my senior year (not sure if this is OK for some of the top schools I have). I've finally narrowed down my list to these schools. Is this a good list? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Harvard
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Univ. of Virginia
Dartmouth
Brown
NYU
Mayo
Albert Einstein
Rochester
BU
Tufts
Stony Brook
SUNY Buffalo
Hofstra
New York Medical College
UVM
Jefferson

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
4.0/34, have the typical ECs plus some unique ones. The exception might be research as I am at a little over a year, but will continue for my senior year (not sure if this is OK for some of the top schools I have). I've finally narrowed down my list to these schools. Is this a good list? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Harvard
Univ. of Michigan
Vanderbilt
Univ. of Virginia
Dartmouth
Brown
NYU
Mayo
Albert Einstein
Rochester
BU
Tufts
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Hofstra
New York Medical College
UVM
UCF
Jefferson

I have similar stats (but a slightly lower GPA) and applied to some of the same schools as you did. ... so I'd like to know what the chances are as well.

Looks delicious to me. Exact same stats and we have similar lists :)

(by similar lists I mean we have > 1 school in common)

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here...35/3.82 for me, similar school list

Harvard
Univ. of Michigan
Vanderbilt
Univ. of Virginia
Dartmouth
Brown
NYU
Mayo
Albert Einstein
Rochester
BU
Tufts
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Hofstra
New York Medical College
UVM
UCF
Jefferson

I would take Brown off as the majority of their students come from their BA/MD program. Mayo is also a definite long shot, especially with average EC's. They make their first cut based on EC's and only have a class size of ~40, and it's Mayo, so every good applicant applies there. Harvard, Michigan, and Vanderbilt are also reaches for pretty much any applicant. I have heard mixed things on the OOS-friendliness of the SUNY schools. Overall, your list might be a tad top heavy, but you should at least get interviews at schools like NYMC, Hofstra and Jefferson. If you wanted to increase your chances, and have the money, I would maybe look into some private schools such as Saint Louis, Creighton, RFU, Wake Forest, Loyola, Drexel, and Tulane and see if you want to add any of them. I would also submit your AMCAS as soon as you can. If you don't know what schools you want to apply to, just submit it to one school so you can start getting verified, and add the rest when you decide (you can easily add schools after your first submission). Interviews are already going out, so you need to get going with secondaries quickly. Your stats are above average and definitely good enough to get several acceptances. Now it is just a matter of getting applications completed quickly, choosing the right schools to apply to, and interviewing well. I think there is no reason you won't get accepted somewhere this cycle. Good luck!

I have similar stats (but a slightly lower GPA) and applied to some of the same schools as you did. ... so I'd like to know what the chances are as well.

Looks delicious to me. Exact same stats and we have similar lists :)

(by similar lists I mean we have > 1 school in common)

Same here...35/3.82 for me, similar school list

Guess I'll see you guys on the interview trail! haha

I would take Brown off as the majority of their students come from their BA/MD program. Mayo is also a definite long shot, especially with average EC's. They make their first cut based on EC's and only have a class size of ~40, and it's Mayo, so every good applicant applies there. Harvard, Michigan, and Vanderbilt are also reaches for pretty much any applicant. I have heard mixed things on the OOS-friendliness of the SUNY schools. Overall, your list might be a tad top heavy, but you should at least get interviews at schools like NYMC, Hofstra and Jefferson. If you wanted to increase your chances, and have the money, I would maybe look into some private schools such as Saint Louis, Creighton, RFU, Wake Forest, Loyola, Drexel, and Tulane and see if you want to add any of them. I would also submit your AMCAS as soon as you can. If you don't know what schools you want to apply to, just submit it to one school so you can start getting verified, and add the rest when you decide (you can easily add schools after your first submission). Interviews are already going out, so you need to get going with secondaries quickly. Your stats are above average and definitely good enough to get several acceptances. Now it is just a matter of getting applications completed quickly, choosing the right schools to apply to, and interviewing well. I think there is no reason you won't get accepted somewhere this cycle. Good luck!

Thanks for the help! I think I am going to nix Harvard, Brown, and maybe Univ. of Virginia. Also, I already submitted to Mayo and I am past the LOR request stage so I guess my ECs must be pretty good! I can't really find any other schools I would want to go to, as I would like to stay on the east coast (Mayo being the exception here). Back to the MSAR I suppose. Would George Washington be a good one to add?

Edit: Also, was going to add Wake, but heard they are very particular, and you need a very specific reason for wanting to go there. Hence, I took it off my list.

Guess I'll see you guys on the interview trail! haha

Thanks for the help! I think I am going to nix Harvard, Brown, and maybe Univ. of Virginia. Also, I already submitted to Mayo and I am past the LOR request stage so I guess my ECs must be pretty good! I can't really find any other schools I would want to go to, as I would like to stay on the east coast (Mayo being the exception here). Back to the MSAR I suppose. Would George Washington be a good one to add?

Edit: Also, was going to add Wake, but heard they are very particular, and you need a very specific reason for wanting to go there. Hence, I took it off my list.

Congrats on getting past the Mayo screen. GW is a strange school as they have lower average stats than many schools, yet they get 12,000+ applicants. I think how you answer their secondary plays a large role in interview selection. If you think you are a good fit, it doesn't hurt to add GW, but know that the secondary fee is about $125. If you made the EC cut for Mayo, you should be good to go for some of the less competitive schools since your stats are good, and if you don't feel like adding any schools, I wouldn't do it. It's a very random process at times, but I think you should be in the clear for now, assuming you know how to interview. I would check out SDN's interview feedback as it is extremely helpful for when you interview at specific schools. Many questions I had from interviewers were verbatim from the SDN interview feedback.

Ok, so I decided on this list. Is this still too top heavy? I have already submitted to 15 of these schools, and I have 2 interview invites so far. Still nervous though. I've never had to interview for anything yet, but I consider myself pretty friendly and personable so I think I should be ok...but I will get in some practice before the real deal.

Harvard
Columbia
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Dartmouth
Brown
NYU
Mayo
Albert Einstein
Rochester
BU
Tufts