Need Help with Human Phys??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntGod22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys its me again the guy who asked about the girl swimmer with the lactic acid buildup in ehr chest well now i have another question , actually 2 of them that I need advice on here it goes

1. Carrie, a vegetarian, tells her physician about a yellow discoloration of the palms of her hands and the soles of her feet. Further inspection reveals that her forehead and the area around her nose are also yellow in color. The physician determines that she has not been exposed to hepatitis and she has normal liver function tests. What might be her problem??

2. Sam likes to work on his motorcycle on the weeked, and he spends a great deal of time cleaning engine parts with organic solvents. He doesnt wear gloves while working, and he notices that after he is finished that his hands feel painfully dry for several hours. What is the probable cause??

Ok I have my own ideas on this, for all you med school students this is a NYIT undergraduate human phys class the answers are usually pretty simple, but I just want to make sure that my own answer is correct. thanks for the help i appreciate it.
By the way its due wednesday the 6

Members don't see this ad.

1) Since she is a veg., she probably eats a lot of carrots, and the carotene is deposited in the skin leaving yellow/orange tinge.
2) I am assuming when you say organic solvents, they are probably like alcohols and such, which will dry out the the skin, until the body can replace the lost moisture.

dito on the carrots and the chemical irritation!

Members don't see this ad :)
antgod22,

I'm going with Ryan:

Carotenemia
Chem irritation. Like dissolves like, so the organic solvents dissolve the natural oils in his hands.

Hope the other went well.

Sweaty

No need to post a question like this in multiple forums. I would suggest the "everyone" forum so everyone sees it and can answer without wondering which forum to answer it it. :wink:

That said, I agree with above.

thanks guys for all your answers.

The reason why i posted in both the osteo and allo forums is I wanted to get the views from both sides of the medical community. thanks alot i will post the answers to it when i get it back next week.