Need Help with McMaster autobiographical sketch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stu4ever

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need some help. Here's the situation.

I am only applying to McMaster this year because I just switched my career goal from clinical psychology to psychiatry or possibly neurology and don't have the requirements yet to apply at other schools except for McMaster. I live out of province and am male. Both of these characteristics seem to greatly limit my chances (as 100 out of 130 admitted are female). I have so-so grades (3.7) which makes it hard to get in all the other schools except for McMaster (mean gpa of accepted applicants is usually 3.55-3.6). So to get an interview I hear that it all comes down to the autobiographical sketch. The questions are not that tough but do require a lot of thought. I don't have any quarms with thinking I just am wondering if anyone has had any experience with applying to McMaster and the autobiographical sketch in particular.

I am not asking anyone to answer the questions for me, just some advice maybe on things to say or not to say.

Here are the questions.

1. Why do you want to study medicine instead of pursuing another career?

2. How has your understanding of health care issues in Canada influenced your choice of career?

3. How has your understanding of the role of physician in society impacted on your career choice?

4. What does the McMaster undergraduate medical program have to offer you?

5. What do you have to offer the McMaster undergraduate medical program and your fellow students?

6. What is your understanding of self-directed learning? Provide evidence that you have the skills to study medicine at McMaster.

7. What is your understanding of problem-based learning? How do your think it will facilitate your study of medicine at McMaster?

8. Provide evidence of your ability to learn in a small group. How will this enhance your study of medicine at McMaster?

9. How do you know when you have learned enough without relying on external standards?

10. How have you given of yourself to the benefit of others over the last several years? (specify role(s) and duration)

11. Provide evidence of your ability to cope with conflict.

12. Describe the multiple demands in your life, and how you keep them in perspective.

13. What does time management mean to you?

14. Elaborate on the lesson(s) learned from a significant failure in your life.

15. Justify why you should receive an interview at McMaster.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN!! :) Sorry I can't offer specific advice, since I'm not Canadian or familiar with their perspectives. Wow! :eek: Makes me tired just looking at those questions. Makes all the whining SDNers do about AMCAS and secondaries look pretty pathetic. But at least it's the only one you have to work on.

I would change the title of your thread to ask for help from Canadians. (Use the edit post button at the bottom of post.) That will get your questions looked at by the right people. If you don't get anwers, try PMing brandodnite, an extremely helpful Canadian guy who moderates the MD/PhD forum (I believe). In general I'd say to just be as honest, genuine, human and concise as you can be in your answers. In the US you want to say things that make you stand out from the pack, that let the adcoms know why you are such a unique person that will contribute to the quality and diversity of their incoming class. Best of luck!

Thanks! I'll remember that when I answer the questions. I switched the title like you suggested. It was nice stumbling across this forum. I have learned so much from reading up on the PBL experiences of other members. Now I just got to get me one of those nifty quotes everyone seems to have.
Bryce